Languages

What do you speak and would you love to learn a new one?

I speak English (native), Spanish (nearly fluent, although I suspect living there as an adult will sort that out), Gallego (intermediate), Portuguese (basic), French (basic)

Really want to learn Arabic. Did a few lessons at uni but sacked it off because I didn’t want to get in for 9 on a Thursday. Anyone speak any Arabic? Any tips on learning it?

French: A2
Italian: B1
Spanish: A1

Schoolboy french. Keep making rubbish attempts to start learning japanese but…

I’ve been told that Italian is very easy to learn from a north-west Spanish perspective due to the fairly similar intonation but I really struggled when I was in Italy.

I really like learning Spanish, it’s so fun to pronounce. Italian is the easiest of those three. I would like to learn a language that has a different alphabet, but it makes me tired just thinking about it.

I did an accelerated Italian class at university for French/Spanish speakers. It would have been great, if they hadn’t bulked the student nos up with some old ladies doing it for fun.

The 8 main students would be like “cool, past tense in Italian works pretty much the same as French. Great, on to the next bit”

The three old ladies would be “excuse me, what’s the difference between ‘lo and il’ again”.

It was painful.

quite like just randomly dropping an “Allora!” to my Italian colleague every now and then. Great language.

mung mung

It’s pretty easy, you don’t need to say the pronoun (I, you, he, she etc) (? I think spanish is like that?). The hardest bit of Italian is memorising every verb/person conjugation for irregular verbs. Also I love in Italian that the polite verb form is Lei, which is the same as the verb form for ‘she’. :relaxed:

This is a fun game btw for people who like languages: https://greatlanguagegame.com/play/

correct for the most part. Maybe I’ll try and do a course one of these days.

I love ‘ma daiiiiiii’ - basically means ‘FOR FUCK’S SAKE/come onnnnnnn’.

i did arabic lessons for a year but it was ages ago so i’ve forgotten nearly all of it. i think @jazzballet speaks arabic

when i was very small i spoke english and greek but when we moved to the UK my parents started speaking to me mainly in english to make sure i could speak it well and i stopped learning greek. i’m quite annoyed about this. i was taking greek lessons when i lived in birmingham and had somewhere to learn, but had to stop when i moved away as i couldn’t find anywhere else teaching it.

i’m not sure what level i’d say i was at, i’ve just started a new audio course to listen to in the car that’s ‘advanced’ apparently so i guess i’ll see what i’m like at the end of it! it’s the michel thomas method, quite good so far, would recommend

i did a few years of japanese lessons too but haven’t kept that up as again, i couldn’t find a course at the right level

From that game I really want to learn Javanese.

I sort of had the same experience - was born in the UK but moved to Spain when I was a few months old, lived there till I was 5 and then moved back, but my parents always spoke to me in English (even my Spanish, very broken english speaking dad for some reason) because…Brexit. When I moved back, I basically spoke Spanglish (remember one instance where I didn’t know the English for ‘walk’ at school and kept referring to the Spanish word, so my mum had to come in and explain it all to the teacher). We moved back briefly a few years later, but only for half a year, so I feel like I’ve lost a lot of time in becoming perfectly fluent and a natural Spanish speaker. Me and my Dad can’t have a conversion in Spanish without breaking into laughter for some reasons either.

I speak English, Somali is weak (awful accent and i hardly understand idioms and colloquialisms) and arabic is quite bad, I can read and write fluently and used to be a lot better (GCSE level).

@profk reading and writing arabic is the best way to start, the alphabet isn’t the hardest and the rules are quite logical and easy to follow. Then picking up grammar rules and basic phrases. Watching arabic tv helps, I used to watch al Jazeera news in arabic back in the day when the Iraq war was raging and it helped!

yeah, the lessons I did have were essentially just learning the alphabet and how it worked. and watching tv and films in the language you want to learn is the next best thing to actually living there in my experience.

Me three! I used to pronounce hotel in the Somali accented way until I was telling my friends in primary school about our first holiday and they kept giggling at me saying it until I finally twigged :pensive: