Lasagne

Making a lasagne for tomorrow. Got from this evening to begin work. Whenever I make one it tastes great but it’s a bit of a sloppy mess. I’m hoping to make something a little more presentable.

Any tips or recipes you’d recommend?

1 Like

I’ve been getting better with mine over lockdown

Main tips are to cook the ragu down enough so it’s not too saucy, cook with foil over to get it heated through, then take it off for the last 10-15 to get a crispy top, and finally to let it sit for 20 mins if you can before cutting and serving

Last point might be the hardest thing to do in all of cooking history

11 Likes

Heavy on bechamel, burn the edges.

No tips just preferences.

I ate a giant lasagne when I was going into labour as everyone said how hungry you are afterwards so I thought, not I, I’ll have a prelabour feast. Then afterwards remembered people also saying that if you have gas and air it can make you sick and I thought, I can’t ruin lasagne forever by associating it with a vomit memory so I refused any pain relief in labour until right at the end when I had a huff of gas when I knew I was probably on the home strait. I started hallucinating that I was in a nightclub with David Guest and I was telling David “please lasagne, stay down”.

That is my most recent lasagne anecdote.

47 Likes

I’ve never bothered to make a lasagne.

I’m at the stage of my cooking life where all mealtimes are a hurried chore where food is either rushed down in five minutes or completely ignored by dickhead kids, so the idea of spending hours making anything for a result that is gone or wasted in a flash is completely alien to me.

One day I’ll spend all day constructing a lovely lasagne. One day.

5 Likes

I think where I’ve been going wrong is not letting the bechamel fully cool down and then it’s melting a bit into the ragu when I build it. Think I might make the ragu and bechamel tonight and then chill them. Assemble first thing in the morning and put back into the fridge.

Will try and let it stand for 20 mins… we’ll see!

2 Likes

also normally I put the ragu in the oven to cook but maybe that’s not reducing it down enough

Definitely cook that until it’s as thick as poss :+1:

1 Like

18 Likes

think doing it overnight is definitely meant to help build the flavours but i haven’t got anywhere near that yet

im normally a sweaty panicky mess when making mine anyway due to juggling all the timings, so take all my advice with a handful of salt

1 Like

Never made one. The best I’ve ever eaten was from Tucco Real Food in Barcelona.

I’m going to be making the 100-hour lasagne next month, I’m very excited.

1 Like

I like making lasagne but it does tend to be a whole Saturday afternoon job. Take your time, bottle of red, use all the pots in the kitchen somehow.

16 Likes

If the top isn’t crunchy don’t even bother

1 Like

Hard, practically inedible burnt edges

• Good
  • Obviously a bad thing

0 voters

Tips: quality of the sheets is important. If you can get one of the more expensive italian brands of dried pasta, do it.

If you want you can roast the mince in the oven, spread out on a baking tray. This gets it really brown and a bit crispy before it gets all sauced up. Less messing around than with browning in batches in a pan. However I can’t usually be bothered.

3 Likes

my mom came to stay a couple of weeks ago while my dad was on a golfing trip. on the last day she made a lasagne as the plan was to have dinner before going home but my dad wanted to leave asap in order to “make good time”, so they didn’t have any and left me a whole family sized lasagne to myself. got a freezer full of the stuff now aka living the dream

7 Likes

I’ve been tempted to make my own sheets but the advice was to make them so thin that I think they’d be a nightmare to handle - like the thinnest setting my pasta roller goes to

1 Like

Sounds like it might come out a bit burnt

1 Like

19 Likes

I fucking love lasagne. What a dish, man

6 Likes