Last night's gig was

Anchor The Sun at The Old Blue Last

Haven’t been here for a gig since maybe Fightmilk in 2019. Came here earlier this year for a pint before Katy J Pearson and got charged £7 for a crap Beavertown pint. Luckily this gig cost £6, the same as my pint of Hells here.

Liked a few tracks of the artist on the internet to check her out live. Folky pop. Maybe a bit too generic and twee but didn’t mind the few tracks I hung around for. Nothing amazing, but nice enough.

4 Likes

HAIM @ O2 Arena
Absolutely awesome. And Taylor Swift even showed up :scream:!

Edit; missed the last train home :smiley::upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Whoa!!! I read your post and looked it up.

Swift did Love Story?!!! I love that song. Seen her live and loved every gig hugely. I’m so jealous.

2 Likes

Big call for someone who goes to 16 gigs each evening!

16 Likes

Those were my best gigs of 2018.

3 Likes

This was probably one of my top ten gigs of all time and I’m eternally bitter that they decided the recordings weren’t good enough to release the planned DVD.

3 Likes

Haim were absolutely incredible at the O2 last night. So much thought and effort put in to their show. Stories, dance routines, instrument swapping, heavier sections, sax interludes.

Taylor Swift will get the headlines, but the standout moment was when Alana sang her verse in Hallelujah, having introduced the story of her best friend dying and saying her friend’s family was in the audience. The entire place was silent. Goosebumps and tears all over.

6 Likes

The crowd were great weren’t they/we. As you say; silent during that entire song, and Kasabian-style-roof-blown-off when Taylor appeared!

2 Likes

Jack White at Rough Trade East

Saw The White Stripes three times. The best time and probably the most packed gig I’ve ever been to was their Astoria gig. I remember lighting a cigarette was impossible and you’d slide your warm can of Red Stripe along up your body and then to you mouth. A normal arm action to get drink to mouth just wasn’t possible. It really was that packed.

Seen The Ranconteurs once but never really liked them.

I hadn’t heard any other Jack White stuff or really revisited The White Stripes in decades and it’s a shame that Seven Nation Army has been turned into a crowd chant.

Forgot just how good a guitarist White is. Stunningly good. The band were as tight as can be and the drummer was better than Meg; most wind up toys are also too. The drummer this morning actually was one of those effortlessly cool blokes, very good.

A very short set but very impressive and I managed to get a handshake with him at the signing. A good result for me. Great set.

Then I went to work for around seven hours as I was called in last minute on my day off. Shit show of a shift and then saw…

6 Likes

Dean Wareham at Islington Assembly Hall

A few DiS-ers went I’m guessing. Just about made it for the start. Good gig. Wareham’s voice is still pretty good and with some decent musicians you’re not going to mess up an “album in its entirety” gig.

Never saw Galaxie 500 but seen Wareham and Damon and Naomi a number of times over the years.

Probably a very personal thing in that I’ve always enjoyed the Wareham gigs where he plays Galaxie songs but the band has always been one where my listening to them is a very personal listening relationship between me and them on the earphones/speakers when I’m feeling down or moody or if the weather is cold and they’re the perfect band to put on. My live experiences with the band, despite them always being good live, haven’t connected as much as them on record.

8 Likes

I can definitely get where youre coming from. I must admit i found it a special experience tonight to hear those cherished songs live…and i thought they delivered assuredly. Never seen Dean live before. I thought the new lp tracks sounded tight too…recalled the go betweens a lot more than i realised with their literate and arch quality.

3 Likes

Flaming Lips in Galway last night.
Just brilliant, great fun.
Family affair as my wife and 2 kids were in tow. First gig for my 11 year old son, who had the time of his life.

24 Likes

Would like to see them again at some point but that’s twice in the last few years that they’ve only played Galway!

1 Like

I was at the last Galway gig, was good for a day out. My pals and I didn’t bother with this one though. Think it’s the first Flaming Lips gig I’ve missed in Ireland since I saw them first in 2005.

This Post Paid For By PROF$

1 Like

What a great first gig for a kid, wonderful stuff!

4 Likes

I love Galway but it’s a real pain in the arse to get to from here. Unbelievable there’s no direct public transport from Belfast.

Think there’s a bus from Derry but takes ages

1 Like

TRAAMS at Rough Trade East

Liked their new release yesterday. Heard it a couple of times today on the commute to work. After work I decided to take a long walk to the venue with the album on earphones and worked brilliantly with the nice weather.

They’re a slightly genre crossing band. Droney-dirgey loud rock maybe with perhaps even a hint of Yo La Tengo if I was being Jilly Goolden about it. A lot of sound and it’s all good stuff.

Wasn’t expecting the band to be that damn tight. Very impressive live act. Worth a look in to for those that haven’t heard them.

8 Likes

Afghan Whigs at Concorde 2, Brighton

This was as hot as hell. It was the busiest I’ve ever experienced the Concorde - uncomfortably so. A man near me collapsed, and it took ages to get him to the seating at the back, because the crowd were so packed in.

Nevertheless, the band were on great form. They played stuff off every album from Gentlemen onwards (including four off their impending new album). They sounded phenomenal.

Greg Dulli: ‘The last time we were here, England was a frozen and forbidden land. Now the food is great, you’ve got good teeth, and it’s hot as fuck. What happened?’

For anyone going to see them later in the year - be warned - Greg Dulli does NOT like people taking photos at gigs…….

11 Likes

Alex the Astronaut in-store at Red Eye Records, Sydney.

Her new album came out on Friday and is already riding high in my favourites this year. In store set was only two songs long as her voice was wrecked from playing Splendour in the Grass (festival) - a shame as she sounded great.

Got a signed copy of the album on vinyl afterwards and had a nice chat. Only minus is the Chelsea shirt so 9.5/10 experience.

4 Likes

:smiley:

The most “you” review comment

1 Like