Last night's gig was

Ah, fab. Didn’t realise it was all improvised – fantastic!

Forgot to post this last week. Down in London, was supposed to see Arcade Fire but binned it off and caught up with a pal instead. Did manage to see Lael Neale at St Pancras Old Church on Wednesday though

Good gig, although I was a little out of it for various reasons so mostly sat on the floor and spaced out. She played a few new tracks which had a nice psych-tinge to them (more Velvet Underground than Tame Impala). Gf is a big fan so spoke to her after the show and she seemed lovely.

Only weird thing was when she mentioned Bath some guy thought it was appropriate to correct her pronounciation by saying ‘It’s Bawth, babe’. It was so condensending that the fact the entire audience didn’t boo him almost ruined the show.

4 Likes

Did you catch any of the support Rachika Nayar? I was tempted for last night but timings didn’t work out work-wise.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought she was great! Simple but effective visuals and a nice clubby undertone to much of it; thought she was really well chosen as a support.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great double bill.

1 Like

Technically tonight but…

Jasmine Myra @ The Crescent, York

[Uploading: 2DA01B05-5886-4F04-9457-F2D1A958C259.jpeg…]

Thank you so much to whoever in the new releases thread at the time reminded me that this album was out.

Her debut record came out in the midst of my dad being in hospital all while preparing for a move 200+ miles away from home for my first proper contracted, permanent job having only just moved back home down south from the East Midlands. I was (and still am) all over the place and while I wasn’t listening to too much new music, I turned to this album for 45 minutes of respite from everything else going on in my life.

All of it came flooding back tonight - it hit me halfway through and the tears of joy never stopped. Tonight was a soul-cleansing experience. I’m tearing up typing this now while still in the venue. One of the new tracks had such depth and weight in its beauty that it blew me away.

Also the support Awen Ensemble we’re phenomenal. They reminded me of a jazz-leaning, female fronted version of Black Country, New Road at times.

11 Likes

Katy J Pearson at Olby’s in Margate

Had a great time. The new album comes across really well live.

Support was Naima Bock, so a bit of a bigger name than your average small indie gig support act. She went down really well. She played a ‘solo’ set with just her and a fiddle player rather than a full band. She is playing Margate again in a few weeks as a headliner.

Sound was great which is pretty much the norm for gigs put on in this part of the world. Art’s Cool, who promoted the show, do a great job, as do Ramsgate Music Hall down the road. Only downer was the loud chatters at the back near the bar but it only really mattered in the quieter tracks like ‘Sound of the Morning’.

10 Likes

Katy J Pearson at The Electric Ballroom

I’m not the biggest fan despite it being the third time I’ve seen her this year. The new album was ok. Saw her at Rough Trade East during its release in July I think and thought she was a better live act than she is on record.

Tonight was the same. She has an impressive voice and the band again got a better sound live than they did on record for me. Her band are pretty good too.

(Edit) Her voice was strong enough for the enjoyable cover of B-52s’ Roam that she did tonight. Maybe she did the cover as B-52’s Kate Pierson and her name sound very similar. Decent gig.

6 Likes

Your photos are much better than mine.

1 Like

Oh dear, my hair is really thinning at the back…

6 Likes

You’ve got more than I have.

1 Like

obviously circled the wrong person there if the text is to be believed

1 Like

You’re very kind. I guess I’m not doing too bad for 46!

3 Likes

You’re not doing bad for 36.

2 Likes

I went to see Liam Gallagher supported by the Charlatans in Cardiff last night and it was pretty much everything you’d expect from a Liam Gallagher gig in 2022

Wellends everywhere

1 Like

Cryalot at Electrowerkz

First performance of the new project by Sarah Bonito and Jenny Walton (both of Kero Kero Bonito). Whereas that band doesn’t do much for me, I’m quite excited about Cryalot. The recent EP is loud, noisy-ish pop - lots of very satisfying synth sounds cranked up, and good hooks too. Worked really well live and even though it was a bit of a short set, as you would expect, everything sounded huge. Yeah, impressive stuff. Going to be a lot more to come from this I’m sure.

6 Likes

That’s a great photo :+1:

1 Like

Penelope Isles at the Cornish Bank supported by my pal’s band. Both were top

1 Like

brother that’s thicc

1 Like

Suede at Rough Trade East

No surprises tonight. The new album is damn strong and live they’re on form as they’ve ever been. Brett remains one of the best front men around.

The album was performed almost in order. They missed out It’s Always The Quiet Ones and I didn’t recognise the last song before the encore but it could have been the final song on the new album but I’m not sure. The finale was It Starts And Ends With You.

As you can guess from this post and those on the Suede thread, I’m a huge fan and so won’t endlessly gush my enjoyment tonight.

The big cherry on top being getting my CD signed. Great gig.

8 Likes