Last night's gig was

I’ve seen them a couple of times over the past few years and enjoyed them. Dunno what people expect from them in the 21st century, but they play a selection from the back catalogue plus a couple of new ones each time (which maddeningly always sounds great). Plus there is a ton of dry ice and lights - what’s not to like?

1 Like

The sound was rubbish when I saw them, muddy and no bass :frowning:
Amenra are supporting tonight and I’m now gutted I’m not going :frowning:

Same here. From what I can gather they hit a nadir around 2006 and have been steadily improving again since. Only ever seen them twice, at Reading 91 and then in 2017, and enjoyed both times (Reading was better though). They premiered three new songs this week - put an album out you bastards!

1 Like

Just got a ticket for tomorrow :sunglasses:

Been ages since I did the Goth hokey koky.

Múm @ Rote Fabrik, Zurich. Haven’t exactly followed them over the years but I remember seeing them years ago and it was fun. Apparently this was the first night of a 20th anniversary tour and they seemed both happy to be playing and a bit apprehensive at the same time.

Can’t think of anyone else quite like them. They have a really lovely mix of sounds and styles which make them stand out.

4 Likes

some cracking band names on that list

Interesting. I’ve only ever seen them twice as well. At Reading 91 and again around 2006/07, when they were pretty crap and I was incensed about Eldritch wearing a pair of dayglo orange maharishi cargo pants.

Pixies at Ally Pally. They’ve been better. But, still great. Not enough Gigantic.

2 Likes

Last night’s gig was…

cancelled at the last minute due to Press Club’s singer sustaining a really nasty leg injury, not surprising to anyone who’s seen them before; she gives it 100% for the entire set.

We’d travelled for 2 1/2 hours so asked the venue if we could at least take one of the (awesome) posters as a souvenir (souveneer - s/o @elthamsmateowen). They obliged and it transpired it’s been numbered and signed by the artist.

21/66, since you asked

5 Likes

So souvenear, so souvenfar

(Doesn’t even rhyme!)

2 Likes

The Twilight Sad aaaaaaand Self Esteem. Wow… third time seeing the Sad this year but they were on top form. Changed their set about a bit thankfully. Holy shit though, Self Esteem, take a bow. Amazing. As usual just wish I was slightly more sober to remember it all better. Not a single photo worth sharing. Great night

3 Likes

Camp Cope at Islington Assembly Hall
Great gig. Melbourne female fronted bands are kicking arse this year.

1 Like

Black County, New Road at Boston Music Rooms

Tremendous, albeit they always look a bit bored

The Ex at the Exchange, Bristol - joie de vivre

1 Like

Spiral Stairs in Voodoo, Belfast

Good show but sadly very dead due to a sold out Pixies show happening around the corner - I know plenty of Pavement fans that would have been at this otherwise. Feel a bit bad for him as he’s clashing with him them again in Dublin tonight. Unfortunate.

Put on a very spirited show despite the sparse attendance though (which wasn’t helped by the fact that almost everyone there remained seated at the side or the back). 4 Pavement songs and 2 Preston School of Industry in among the solo stuff and a couple of covers.

Enjoyed it but shame it was spoiled by an unfortunate clash - both in the attendance and in my own slight remorse about missing the Pixies for it. I’ve seen Pixies 3 times, once indoors just after Kim left which was great (but I was on my own and stuck sitting up in the balcony as it was the only ticket I could get) and twice outdoors which have been ok but they’ve come across a bit tired and bored. From friends’ instagram videos though they look to have been on pretty good form last night, in a venue they haven’t played since 1990. They normally just play Dublin and skip Belfast but hope they come back up north again next time.

4 Likes

Wilco at the Barrowlands. Saw them
in Manchester on the last tour, glad to have finally seen them but the sound was a little underwhelming so was excited to give them another go.

This was fucking phenomenal - I’ve forgotten what amazing sound the Barras has. Never had such amazing separation of every instrument, could hear Nels’s wild solos while also getting every detail of the acoustic and piano too. Low key start with lots of new songs (though they were uniformly good), then kicked it up several notches with a killer Handshake Drugs, which is easily one of their more underrated songs. Tried to sing along to Via Chicago but literally couldn’t because I was too choked up. I love Wilco the band but I really LOVE Wilco the rock band.

(Gig tee I bought was way too big though boo)

7 Likes

Went to see Wilco last night in Manchester and they were fantastic there as well. Sounded like a very similar paced set to what you saw.

Haven’t seen them since 2005 so I hadn’t previously seen Nels do Impossible Germany. Fuck me that was unreal - never seen anyone play that wild but also be in total control.

Can never tire of Via Chicago either. Glenn Kotche’s drumming in that is awesome. Was absolutely made up that they played Reservations.

3 Likes

I still haven’t seen my two fav songs (Muzzle of Bees and At Least That’s What You Said) and yet I don’t really care - shows how deep their catalogue is!

2 Likes

Manchester was great. particularly loved Nels playing on handshake drugs, lovely to hear California stars, and misunderstood always turns me MUSH.

Also whilst not normally a big fan of hearing unreleased stuff live, I really enjoyed the new stuff.

Love Jeffs cheerfully grumpy persona.

2 1/4 hour set that went in a flash.

Enjoyed Ohmmes set as well

1 Like

Wilco were very good last night.

Why so many people go to gigs to talk is beyond me however

2 Likes