Last night's gig was

You in St. Albans?

Didn’t realise there was such a vibrant live scene there. Haven’t been there in years.

AVA conference London.

Yesterday was club night with Orbital headlining.

We started with Ross from Friends who was less boring as a DJ but still boring.
Overmono were ok but had no flow to their set.

At this point I was getting worried. There was no buzz in the place, even though there were a lot more people than expected then Joy Orbison took the stage.
I saw him years ago and thought he was rubbish but last night he just stormed the place, really banged it out and I was not expecting him to play DJ Assault :joy:

Orbital are 30 this year and they still are almost peerless. Probably the band I’ve seen most in the last 20 years. (Them or Mogwai)
Tonight’s show started a kitty slow but I love how they now mutate their songs, Impact now has Gretta Thunberg mixed in and the reworking of Belfast works great live.
They still have the problem that the songs from the last album are shit but when the finish with Lush it’s hard to care.
There were 2 new songs that sounded great so hopefully it was worth the risk going.

Also very impressed with the hand washing going on.

8 Likes

Orbital are still magnificent.

Last night I saw Baddies at the Lexington. A one off reformation, was great fun. Feels like it might be the last gig for a while.

1 Like

I sort of facetiously said to my friend at Jessy Lanza on Wednesday that this would be the last show we go to for a long time. Fully expect that now. Fly Pan Am at Cafe Oto has now been cancelled and I can see my next round of shows at the Retextured festival being binned off soon.

https://twitter.com/billysubway/status/1239212571556708358?s=21

Anybody at the subways and art brut show in Manchester last night?

I’m hopefully going to the Bristol show if it’s not cancelled. Sounds like there were some scumbags there last night

1 Like

Junior Brother, Black Box, Belfast

This was a night organised by Analogue Catalogue recording studio (formerly located in Manchester, now in County Down - it’s where Yorkston/Thorne/Khan record all their albums and has also been used by King Creosote, Brigid Mae Power, Lankum, Jeffrey Lewis etc) for a screening of a short new documentary about the studio and about analogue recording called The Psychology of Analogue, filmed by Myles O’Reilly (This Ain’t No Disco).

Good doc and Aoife Wolf and Buí played decent sets as well, but Junior Brother was the main attraction, love him. Only a short set unfortunately - I keep missing his proper headline shows and only catching him in support slots or special events like this, but the new material he’s playing sounds great. Can’t wait for the new album he’s working on to be finished and released. I’ve talked about him before on here but reckon fans of Peasant-era Richard Dawson would be into him.

An understandably sparsely attended night though, a shame but maybe for the best. Can see it being the last gig I get to see for a while.

Guess this thread is going to get a bit quiet. Going to be glorious when it returns (in 2025)

7 Likes

We could do instagram / facebook live gigs?

2 Likes

Yep, definitely. I’m not on Instagram or Facebook but those gigs definitely count.

I’m very interested in seeing bands doing those gig.

Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom) live last night from his basement. Link to the replay below via Youtube.

Lovely stuff. Over $4000 in tips raised for local boston clubs and small music venues.

Wife and daughter came downstairs to do backup vocals for Tangerine.

Same time next Saturday at 8.30pm

Also via the Buffalo Tom you tube channel

1 Like

Seen Buffalo Tom a couple of times. Soda Jerk is an all time classic. I think it was also featured on an episode of My So-Called Life (for those old enough to remember the show).

I had a trip to Boston planned at the end of next month. Obviously not going.

1 Like

Andrew Roachford at Toulouse Lautrec…

That’s right, the thread is back. Was eating out to help out with the TV last night (easy now) and in the upstairs piano bar of the restaurant we were in there was some jazz sessioning going on. Headed up to have a look after dinner and there was yer man Andrew Roachford, previously from popular hit band The Roachfords, on the piano. He did a set of covers, culminating in a nice version of Hey Joe. No Cuddly Toy or Family Man unfortunately. He has a great voice in fairness. Very pleasing to see some live music tbh tbf…

15 Likes

Sounds like a great night out.

Loved Cuddly Toy when it came out. I’ll find it on YouTube for a re-listen.

2 Likes

I went to watch Mike and the Mechanics a few ago (Dads birthday present) with Andrew Roachford on vocals, they played cuddly toy. What a bonus!

1 Like

I checked his Wikipedia just last night and was pleasantly surprised to learn that he is now fronting Mike & The Mechanics :+1:

1 Like

Roachford’s Mechanics is a better band name than Mike and The Mechanics.

1 Like

This now has to be posted.

2 Likes

It makes me very happy to be posting here again :blush:

Saw the Utopia Strong supporting Teeth of the Sea at a social distanced gig in Clapham of all places.

Steve “interesting” Davis’s drone/ prog band are so dull that even 7 months without live music can’t make them worth listening to.

The crazed bagpipe solo was the point I wished I could go to the bar. :rofl:

Teeth were amazing as always, teeth rattlingly loud in the best way

Dunno when my next gig is but I’ve missed live music so much. I kinda worried my friend because I just kept laughing throughout the gig, just because I was so happy.

27 Likes

I cannot wait to go see some live music again

2 Likes

Great photos. Would love to have been there. Responder at the Science Museum seems like ancient history. Any new tracks?

1 Like