Last night's gig was

Gwenifer Raymond

2 Likes

Daniel Avery at a church in Hackney. Missed tickets for the original gig back in Feb (that was postponed) but had put my name on the Dice waiting list. Had forgot all about it but got a late invite. He did two shows, I did the early one. The show morphed from his ambient soundscapes into a big rave by the end. Was a bit odd in a 1/6th full church in daylight (and sober) but worked really well (and I got home in time for the second half of the footy). Was the most volume I’ve had for 15 months and I’d forgotten how much I like a big wall of live sound.

6 Likes

Nice, i was at the 2nd show, very enjoyable, missed the rumble of bass going through me. Was dark for this set, all lights and smoke. Everyone up by the end.

5 Likes

He’s in there somewhere ….

4 Likes

May I ask the set up at Islington Assembly Hall?

I presume it’s masks for the attendees. Also, how far are the various “pods”? I’ve think people are podded in groups of one or two?

I was on the balcony and they left every other row empty. Two empty chairs between groups. The ground floor had tables with 2 chairs each and spaces between the tables.

1 Like

Cheers.

I’ve one ticket for Peggy Sue there next Friday at the balcony. I’ll see whether to go or not. It’ll be more of a recon evening (sorry for using a pointlessly overly dramatic term) for me than what I envisage will be a normal gig night.

I felt safe. There’s an app for ordering drinks as well.

1 Like

Gwenifer Raymond’s playing a small bar in Belfast in September. Would love to go but not sure how they’ll work it as the place only holds 50 people max without any social distancing.

1 Like

Cheers.

My usual mode for gigs is to stand at the back and drink. I’m starting an 8am shift the next day and so it’ll be a no-drink night for me for a change.

I work at a hospital and have been double vaccinated for a while now. It’s my own over caution with gigs for some reason.
I was getting on the tube in December when infection rates were the highest with endless maskless arseholes but some reason have hesitancy going to a gig where I know it’ll be as safe as places can be.

2 Likes

Saw that. I’m unsure if any of those cqaf things will go ahead tbh but I’m tempted by a few (gutted I missed Handsome Family already tbh)

Peggy Sue at Islington Assembly Hall

My first gig since March 2020 and first social thing I’ve done since this year’s lockdown was lifted.

I haven’t been to a pub or cinema yet. Excellent organisation by Islington Assembly Hall and their staff.

I think must have bought this ticket last February and it must have been changed umpteen times and ended up being an upstairs seat for this venue.

I wasn’t too fussed about going to this but I was working a late shift nearby which finished at 8pm and doors were at 8:45pm and so it conveniently worked out.

I’m glad I went in the end. It wasn’t a rush of euphoria nor a massive celebration to be back at a gig after a long absence but definitely a nice familiarity about the night.

I’ve only seen Peggy Sue once live which was last year at Rough Trade East when their album came out. They were very good then and probably better tonight. Great melodies and some great darker tunes too and the two front women bounce off of each other brilliantly. They seemed really nice during the record signing at Rough Trade East and their stage banter and presence was very warm and everything together made for a great night out.

10 Likes

Django Django, socially distanced, at Pryzm in Kingston.

I was pretty sceptical about watching a gig at what looked like the set-up of a bingo hall but the atmosphere was surprisingly good and felt safe. 80-100 people in a ~500 capacity venue. The gig started late so everyone was fairly well lubricated (prompt table service went a long way towards offsetting the lack of a sweaty mass of people). Django Django are a band I’ve always liked, but only really bothered with their first album and most recent one, which is great. The band were clearly quite unrehearsed, but the slightly shambolic nature improved their performance. Plenty of beats and double drumming, which built quite a party atmosphere across the booths, and a well paced set. It was a great release to go to a gig after a 495 day drought, a good one too.

7 Likes

:smiley:

Good pics tbh tbf :+1:

2 Likes

love the first one and was disappointed by the second, but never got round to either the third one or the new one. must give them a go.

I’ve tickets to see Mogwai here next month :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Glasgow band VLURE at the Windmill. Socially distanced so a capacity of 30 or so. They are kind of like early Depeche Mode fronted by Renton from Trainspotting. This is a good thing.

6 Likes

I just cannot get my head around how you’d socially distance at the Windmill. Feels barely big enough to fit 30 people in, let alone with a 2m gap between each person!

2 Likes

Second album is there only misstep imo - all the others are great :+1:

1 Like

SickBoy on bass as well by the look of things

3 Likes