Last night's gig was

I saw them a few years ago at the Stag in Bristol (for FREE) and enjoyed them. She has a great voice.

OBL - £6 / £5 NUS etc etc.

5 Likes

First gig since March 20 last night, Admiral Fallow at Edinburgh Park. A bit odd, it was a tester event for the festival, free tickets by draw, not knowing who the band was - may be why half empty and a bit subdued. I still really enjoyed it, well distanced and totally safe and drinks delivered to your seat. It will be interesting at Kathryn Joseph on Sunday where people chose and paid.

1 Like

Off to two of these in a row in a couple weeks, Nadine Shah then black midi. Will be an interesting experience, especially because we could be back to totally standard gig experiences very soon after that …

1 Like

Greentea Peng at Rough Trade East

Afternoon gig.

Her new album is a brilliant one for summer listening and she played about five or six tracks from it. Only her and a man on decks but a great gig. Would love to see her with a full band and would expect that to be amazing. However her next gig is the hall venue at EArtH; hate that venue compared to the theatre which I love.

As expected a younger audience this afternoon with the majority under 30. I’d estimate the mask wearing to be at less than 10% maybe just 5% unfortunately.
I probably stood out in the audience like a sore thumb with my ffp2 mask but I like the added personal protection it gives me and I’ll continue wearing it all indoor gigs for the foreseeable future.

Always enjoyed my afternoon gigs here and this was great fun as expected.

Mermaid Chunky at Folklore Hackney Road

Another show at my local, enjoying it whilst I can!

I had not heard them before, if I was judging them on their look seemed like a quirky art school duo influenced by the mighty boosh with unconventional instruments alongside synths and drum machines (wind up toys/recorders etc).

Initially I thought I was right, seemed all quite shonky and funny but in quite a charming way rather than annoying - but then all of a sudden what they’re doing and building just clicks into place and sounds incredible, the looping of all their voices and harmonies and rhythms become massive and some of it could easily be these big housy floor fillers at fabric or something, really wouldn’t sound out of place. My mind was totally blown by what they were doing and got really lost in it - the two of them seemed really comfortable and relaxed, I feel sometimes with this stuff you’re just observing what they’re doing rather than truly feeling it but their presence was very inviting and you feel a part of the world they’re building on stage.

10/10, don’t even know what they’re like on record but live that was something else, go see em if you can.

1 Like

Crikey. I’m off to see Yama Warashi next week in Bristol and this lot are supporting. I’ll make sure I catch them.

1 Like

What a show that’ll be, Yama Warashi are superb!

1 Like

They’re playing EOTR so I’ve checked out a couple of their songs. I think I was also in the mind that might all be a bit too “wacky” over a whole set, but that sounds promising and I might have to check them out now if they’re clashing.

1 Like

I think they’d be perfect at a festival, particularly EOTR. If there’s nothing else on you’re particularly fussed about go along - just had a quick listen to the EP and they perform pretty much all of it plus a few new songs - which for me were the highlights of the set; one called “Chaperone” and another which was about “Dolly Parton and Christmas” but somehow sounded like the the Bush Tetras doing 90s RnB. Those songs on the EP give you an idea but live I feel there’s a bit more space and groove to them so you can have a bit of a dance.

1 Like

Ishmael Ensemble at Rough Trade East

Hadn’t heard of the band until about 10 days ago until I looked up who was playing tonight as I was free.
Not my usual go to genre and I’m glad of that and happy to discover a new sound. The band crosses many music genres. Mostly file under jazz but with a large slice of electronica too.

The new album is brilliant and will easily make my top 3 of the month; definitely AOTW for me.
Absolutely stunning live and tracks on the album as well as older ones were performed brilliantly. Just a great live band. Worth investigating for those that haven’t heard them.

4 Likes

South Facing Festival @ Crystal Palace Park…

A challenging day weather-wise meant that we missed Jane Weaver and The Orielles which was disappointing. Fat White Family drew an energetic crowd complete with a rainbow backdrop. Baxter Dury was pretty good. Sleaford Mods did their thing - second time in two weeks that I’ve seen them having caught them at Latitude. The site worked quite well for a city festival and is super convenient for me - hope they do more stuff there…

1 Like

Kathryn Joseph at Edinburgh Park - still a bit odd but much better than the other night. People were much more engaged. As always she was great, acoustics good also for a tent despite the rain.

3 Likes

Richard Hawley at a very small, sweaty place called The Venue in Derby.

Cracking night as usual. Tight as a drum, voice like warm honey

7 Likes

Black Bordello at The Shacklewell Arms

My first “proper” venue since last March.

I really like their album. It’s an odd mix of jazz, easy listening, one song could be straight out of a musical and another used as a quirky soundtrack. I don’t want to be a Paul Ross reviewer, and I’ll admit that I left after about four songs.

Unfortunately they were unable to replicate their album sound and vibe on stage. Maybe they did towards the end of the set but I’d left by then. The album is worth a listen and a purchase but from the songs I heard unfortunately they’re not as good live although the singer is definitely impressive and has great stage presence.

First time being able to post in here in a year and a half!

Got offered a cheap ticket for Fontaines DC in Custom House Square in Belfast. Rescheduled from last year, I was surprised it didn’t get rescheduled again. Goat Girl supported which was a nice treat, along with NewDad.

Saw Fontaines a couple of years ago even though I had mixed feelings about the first album - that time the sound was terrible, and the 2019 election exit poll came in midway through the gig which wasn’t fun. I enjoy the second album a lot more and the sound was much better this time despite being outdoors. Was just nice being at a big summer outdoor show with a load of mates again.

Went up the front for Goat Girl, who didn’t play anything from the first album but were still v good.

10 Likes

Was at Nadine Shah tonight, as another one for the Edinburgh Park crew.

I had given her new album a few listens when it came out and wasn’t that fussed, but went to this mainly on my mums recommendation (don’t laugh), and got more into her in the last few weeks. Was glad to be going but not super enthused

As it turns out, holy shit was she/they fantastic. Really magnetic performance, super clear sound so all the weird details/lyrics of the album came through perfectly and it hit way way harder live than on album. Leant much more into the post punk noise and volume at times, could have been listening to a Fontaines or Shame etc instead of someone who was a bit more singer-songwriter in my head. Fan for life now, and she was also dead funny and clearly so so happy to be there

Gigs!

8 Likes

Totally agree, I kind of liked her but had become a bit disinterested, when my wife wanted to go I went with low expectations but ended up really enjoying it.

That was the last of my Edinburgh Park gigs, I would have gone to more if funds allowed. After a subdued start, all of them have been great and a good way to ease back into going to live music again. From the last few days - Moses Boyd, who was absolutely outstanding, and Erland Cooper.

2 Likes

@JaguarPirate @ADC

Up in Edinburgh on holiday and just managed to get
some returns for Anna Meredith tomorrow night (after refreshing the online ticket page a couple of times a day for the last fortnight). How’s the venue experience?

Quite cold mainly! Be prepared with layers, it’s covered but all the sides are basically wide open to the air. Also not in the nicest location but just 5 mins walk from the tram stop so not a struggle to get to

But easy access toilets and no queues, everything well spaced out, pretty good visibility with how they staggered the seats, amazing sound, really clear but still punchy and loud. Drinks app is meant to be pretty easy to get things brought to your seat which is fun, but did take a good few attempts before it worked for me

They do start pretty bang on 830 and chase you out as soon as the performance is over too

1 Like