Last night's gig was

Few days late but saw Idlewild in Edinburgh on Saturday in Edinburgh - Fucking boring!

Woomble absolutely calling it in. To be fair to Rod Jones, he was having a whale of a time, playing out his skin but everything just felt really… wet. Really sad actually, they were one of my favourite bands as a teenager but I couldn’t help but think that they should have just called it quits after The Remote Part.

:disappointed:

Sarah Davachi / John Chantler at Cafe Oto—premium drone and some very good dissonant noisy-ambient Heckery weirdness

It was SO HOT in there though, guys

Me too, man.

Hopefully just a bad night for them. It’s a one off show for them this year so maybe they weren’t in form. Have tix for Roddy’s solo tour in October so fingers crossed that’ll be good anyway.

Was at that one too. Two great performances, a good venue and good beer. Loved it. This and their February show in Glasgow will probably be my gigs of the year.

royal trux at motion in Bristol.
new winner for most drunk person on stage that I’ve seen.
rather shambolic, car crash gig.

purling hiss were good though

Public Service Broadcasting @ Electric Ballroom…

Up to a five piece now, with an additional three piece brass section (complete with coordinated dance moves :open_mouth:) joining them for select songs, they are a much bigger concern than when I first caught them as a two piece at Village Underground way back on the first album tour. A very professional set - sound and lighting were tops. Played some new tracks, several of which seemed to be mining themed. Nothing as standout as Spitfire or Go! though, the latter of which saw some great hands in the air stuff from the audience. Fun…

the new album is all about the mining industry & what happens to a society when their main industry is taken away
looking forward to the launch shows in ebbw vale

I had no idea Purling Hiss were supporting! Bummer.

Ok, so this gig was only Last Night’s Gig on Wednesday, but Afghan Whigs @ Koko on Tuesday night was so good. Brilliant setlist, new tracks fitting seemlessly into the show, Dulli on superb form and great support from Ed Harcourt.

Only slight downside was remembering my first Whigs gig and feeling a bit old.

Saw Melt Banana in Southampton earlier. Bit disappointed that aren’t touring as a full band (are they even a full band any more?) but they were noisy and fun. Only played for about 40 minutes but worth watching.

Bivouac at Duffy’s in Leicester. Tiny venue, good gig.

Depeche Mode @ The Olympic Stadium…

First time seeing them since catching then at Crystal Paper athletics stadium on the Songs Of Faith And Devotion tour way back in '93. I do like a massive gig occasionally tbf. The stadium itself is a fairly soulless but modern affair - didn’t have to queue more than a minute for either beer or a piss. Quick to get into but an age to get out of.

Depeche Mode did a hefty two and a quarter hours. 4 or 5 of the better tracks of the latest album, plus a selection of tracks across their later career. Only Everything Counts from their early classics. Their recent stuff probably has more in common with Nick Cave than their synthpop peers tbf. Unsurprisingly, the tracks from Violator went down best. Dave Gahan is currently spring a moustache that gives him a district look of Salvador Dali. Good visuals throughout. Martin Gore sang a whole bunch of songs which was nice. Was good :+1:

Thee Oh Sees in Bristol, fantastic stuff. The double drummers at the front of stage are just amazing to watch.

Julien Baker @ Bush Hall - Incredibly quiet and humble in between songs but she really poured her heart out over those sparse arrangements. The crowd were eating out of the palm of her hand from the get go and remained hushed throughout (or they were from where I was stood). Great to hear some new material too - the new album should be a belter!

One of the best crowds I have seen in a long time, excellent gig.

Lovely venue too! Hadn’t been there before but it suited her intimate sound.

(actually two nights ago)

Thee Oh Sees at SWX in Bristol.

It was so totally fucking brilliant.