Last night's gig was

At any moment in time someone on here is watching Suede

37 Likes

Yeah given their farewell show was in Whelans I was surprised at the jump in venue size. They haven’t even been away that long!

Only time I saw them was 15 years ago, bloody hell.

1 Like

I saw them supporting Future of the Left in the Village a very long time ago.
Both bands were a bit boring.

I don’t accept this.

3 Likes

I love Mclusky but FotL have always left me cold.

at The Shacklewell Arms

Went to this after a set of triple 12 hour shifts and luckily I made it to this one in time. Their last two albums have been on heavy rotation for me in the last few weeks.

Brilliant lo-fi and also melodic emo-y spikey rock…I’m a fan of Joyce Manor, Modern Baseball and (of early :slightly_smiling_face:) Cloud Nothings and would files these guys next to them.

Great fun and they made me smile hugely after a few shit days at work. This band kickass live with loads of energy and warmth and also sold me a pretty good tour t-shirt with a back print. You don’t get back print tour tees for Shacklewell sized bands nowadays.

Loved the evening.

4 Likes

It was a co-headline with Other Half who were good live too.

4 Likes

Really wanted to see the other half, it’s such a great album.

1 Like

I did it the other day. Still very much worth doing.

Thread has quarter of a MILLION views. Quite incredible.

5 Likes

Never actually read it tbh tbf…

No idea if this has been mooted before, but the notion of more ads in this thread certainly wouldn’t bother me. I can’t think of another site where the users generate their own gig reviews, almost like old music paper press reviews, but arguably more real and therefore better.

I imagine this thread attracts far wider views as people that do not want to interact on DiS in a DiS way (which is completely fine) are reading them (which also is fine) for recommendations of gigs, etc.

Would more ads in this thread help with the financing of the site? Just an idea.

2 Likes

I went to the previous night at the Albert in Brighton and it was great. Much preferred Other Half’s set personally - they’re such a great live act - but short fictions were good too

1 Like

Other Half were very fun too.

The lead from Short Fictions was a very nice bloke on the merch desk. Their t-shirts were £15 and they only could accept PayPal and cash as payments. They didn’t have change for £20 and said “Just pay £10. That’ll be fine”.

Not looking for points here but I gave him a twenty. Seems reasonable nowadays for a t-shirt with a back print. Decent front print too.

2 Likes

The Go! Team @ Brudenell Social Club

First time I’ve seen them live since 2005 and although last night didn’t have DJ Scotch Egg and The Pipettes as supports like they did all those years ago, it was still a fun night. Ninja is just such a great front woman, firing up an initially quite staid Sunday night crowd until the majority were dancing and singing along.

11 Likes

S.G. Goodman

Support by local person… H.C. McEntire

Motorco Park, Durham, NC, USA
March 24, 2023

Finishing the spring break roadtrip vaca with a swift stop in Durham, NC.

First time seeing either of them. H.C. felt a little under cooked. Maybe a little road rusty? but Turpentine is a tune. One of my favs of the year so far.

Goodman was stunning. Really blown away by her voice. Her band were as tight as a small insect’s butt hole. Definitely enjoyed it more than I was expecting too. Goodman told a funny about buying Tyler Childers beard and selling hair by hair to Childers fan boy bros. She’s going to be great on the festival circuit this summer.

Gig - 8/10
Venue - 8/10 - Tasty beer selection
City - 7/10 - Need to see more of it.

4 Likes

…of The Runaways. I added that as…

I was on a late shift and went to my usual pub around Camden before this and was slightly surprised my mate the bar manager hadn’t heard of The Runaways. He’s a bloke in his late 50s/early 60s and a bass player and just assumed most people who “knew” their music may at least have heard of The Runaways if not their stuff. Not judging, just wondering.

Saw Cherie Currie in 2015 at this same venue when Suzi Quatro turned up for a song and I was lucky enough to have seen Joan Jett at The 100 Club in 2010 for a very rare UK gig. Fuck me. That was a phenomenal night.

I know somewhat of the history of The Runaways and there seems very little love between the band members or at least between Currie and Lita Ford and Kenny Laguna (who I presume might be the proxy of Joan Jett).

Currie seems not to have aged a day since I saw her eight years ago whereas I’ve aged eight years since yesterday. She knows how to work the crowd and has a very decent band with her, especially white vest bloke who proves several times that he can play Paradise City if ever called upon. It wasn’t but it’s good to know.

Currie has great stage presence and her vocals remain damn strong. She was playing this tour after the recent and tragic bereavement of the brother and managed to knock it out of the park with easy and warmth. Great courage from her and just some great fun rock n’roll tonight.

11 Likes

:smiley:

3 Likes

Empire State Bastard at Rebellion in Manchester. Total chaos. Oversold, bodies flying everywhere. Aural carnage. Great gig!

15 Likes

Anna B Savage @ the Brudenell Leeds.

Coming on stage looking very nervous but she soon eased into a confident show to a very appreciative audience. A very pleasing way to spend a Monday night.

Support came from Albert Gold. Wow what a voice! A full on 70s/80s style RnB singer with a modern touch. He worked the stage like a pro. Definitely one to watch in future.

9 Likes