Last night's gig was

Well, ok in my experience then

No, because they sold out in about ten sodding minutes only to appear immediately on re-selling sites within the hour. How the fuck this is even legal when the same company owns the re-selling sites and therefore gets commission twice on the same tickets so it’s not in their interests to prevent touting, I have no idea.

2 Likes

Fleet Foxes at Southampton Guildhall, great band / terrible venue. Would have loved to see them somewhere smaller, sadly Guildhall sound killed any subtly.

Baxter Dury at Koko - Despite the terrible sound, Baxter and his band were really in top form! The majority of Prince of Tears was aired along with a sprinkling of Happy Soup and It’s A Pleasure tracks. They gave some storming renditions of Oi, Letter Bomb and Miami; also Jason Williamson came out to perform his verse on Almond Milk too, which was ace!

Paul Kelly in Wellington
The performance was fine, but this didn’t really connect with me for some reason: maybe the front-loading of the set with the new album, which understandably got a muted reaction. Maybe it was way too hot and I was tired.
Band very together and technically good but not inspired. Crowd had the usual few ndickheads (loud talkers, mostly).

Also featured worst Paul Kelly crowd interaction since a former DISser yelled ‘damn right, n-word’ (only said the actual word) a few years ago. Random guy in crowd: “your snare’s too loud!”. Paul: “what?” RGIC: “your snare drum is too loud, we can’t hear your vocals!”. Paul: “ah, thanks. I’ll take that up with the boss” (gesturing vaguely at the mixing desk).

Rocket From The Crypt at the Wedgewood Rooms, Southsea. Great set, sounded massive, good crowd. The Middle / Born In 69 / On A Rope / Young Livers run was AMAZING. In my top five gigs of the year without a doubt.

1 Like

Aldous Harding, Wellington.

Agree with everyone else’s comments in this thread. Good respectful crowd, lots of shushing.

Martin Phillips from the Chills in support. Awesome to hear a few deep cuts, and solo arrangements of some classics.

2 Likes

The Us Vs Them festival at the Brudenell in Leeds, headlined by Field Music. They were ace, as was just about every act they put on before them.

Did you watch the opener? My mate’s band.

Love Brudenell, great little venue.

2 Likes

Sadly we missed both of the openers! Got out of work late and we travel in from outside of London so only just had enough time to grab a quick slice nearby before Baxter’s set started.

Cloud Nothings & Hotelier in Berlin. Was well up for seeing Hotelier, and pretty indifferent about seeing Cloud Nothings. But I actually found Hotelier pretty boring, despite loving them on record. I guess I’ll blame jetlag, since they said they only flew in today.

Luckily Cloud Nothings were fucking amazing. I haven’t listened to much since Attack on Memory, but they’ve got so much energy live that I enjoyed the stuff I didn’t know as much as the stuff I did

(Once again I’m missing the point of the thread by posting this on the tram back from the show).

Oh I was also at this.

I also find Hotelier a bit “meh” - what is it with you guys (DiS) I don’t get why you all go mad for this fairly average emo band.

Cloud Nothings were fine, the drummer really annoys me OOH LOOK I CAN PLAY REALLY FAST LETS SPEED EVERYTHING UP UNNECESSARILY JUST BECAUSE I CAN DO A GOOD FILL! Still my friend is driving/tour managing for Cloud Nothings which I didn’t realise so it was nice to see her.

Got stuck on the S-Bahn on the way home and was kinda drunk by the time I left too :open_mouth:

The Bristol gig is now available as a legit bootleg on archive.org

Link below:

Official bootleg of the Troxy gig:

1 Like

Well those links didn’t translate very well did they. You can find the downloads below @fellover and @Fintans_Cat

https://archive.org/search.php?query=godspeed&and[]=creator%3A"godspeed+you!+black+emperor"&and[]=creator%3A"godspeed+you+black+emperor!"&and[]=creator%3A"godspeed+you+black+emperor"&sort=-date

1 Like

hey that’s great! thank you!

On Thursday night I saw Spirit Fest (The Notwist + Tenniscoats) play a very last minute-announced gig to about 40 people. Was as lovely as I was hoping.

& then on Friday I went to see NIVHEK (the Grouper lady), The Caretaker, and some other artists I can’t be bothered looking up now. The first unnamed artist was basically some kind of techno/dance kind of music, with some traditionally dressed Polish dancing couples… which was about as fun as it sounded. I was looking forward to The Caretaker, and it had some cool visuals on the screen, but it had too much (intentional) distortion in the music throughout, whilst two ‘old’ men sat on two comfy seats on the stage, occasionally talking to each other. I wasn’t feeling too well, and decided to cut my losses and leave before the headliners, in case they/she ended up being equally poor.

Two more gigs left for me next week - Dillon on Wednesday, and Babybird on Thursday. Looking forward to both.

Josh Ritter @ Dolans Warehouse in Limerick, with support from Anais Mitchell.
Didn’t realise Anais Mitchell was on support, she did a fab set. Met her afterwards, lovely.
Josh is huge in Ireland & people genuinely love him. A big gang of us went, got nicely merry & sang most every word. Last gig of the year for me, pretty special one to end on.
Goes without saying that I worked from home today :wink:

2 Likes

Went to see Oathbreaker in the Scala.
The band were good but the crowd murdered any atmosphere they were trying to build.
Lads in the pit shouting encouragement at each other during the quiet bits, European women shouting at each other over the music and one particular legend squaring up to the crowd of people who told her to be quiet.
Pity.