Last night's gig was

Yeah I’m 45 and fat, to coin a song title. You’ll get there soon enough!

2 Likes

They were signed before she came on board though. Shona McVicar played on the first album.

1 Like

Right, but there was another drummer before that who got canned for them to get signed

haiku salut. some very in rock n roll elements about this- at a quaker meeting house, non-alcoholic mulled wine advertised, I was told off by audience member for moving side to side while taking off coat! (they would have imploded at some of the behaviour described in this thread), 9.15pm finish.
cracking set though, don’t remember there being kind of harsh electro bits the other time I caught them.
arrived at advertised start time of set and there was a ‘started, ring this number to get in’ sign. new one on me, quite rock n roll maybe, or rave.

2 Likes

not very rock n roll, even

don’t think i’m in any rush to see them after readin that

oh no :frowning: haiku salut are great

1 Like

Yeah I only saw the second one but it was probably the best show I have ever been to. Only Mogwai would start with a song like Superheroes of BMX, which I’m not all that familiar with. I love the fact that they’ll often play something that I will recognise and can hazard a guess at the album but I won’t be very familiar with it. Travel Is Dangerous at the Royal Festival Hall was a highlight just because it was so unexpected.

1 Like

ah another one i’d love to see but haven’t. thought i saw a microphone set up for Barry in Dublin which got my hopes up but no such luck

2 Likes

The Cribs @ Tramshed, Cardiff - Great intimate venue and a career spanning setlist made for a cracking night! Highlights from the set for me were Another Number, Shoot The Poets and Pink Snow.

2 Likes

Saw them in December at the Brudenell and they were so fucking good as always. We took a very sceptical mate who thought they were some lad rock/landfill indie type band and he was so blown away by them. He used to do a lot of music writing and I think he’s gonna write a piece about going to a Cribs gig with no prior experience of the band because he loved all the Cribsmas lore and was taken aback by the sheer devotion of the fans. Don’t know many bands that can pull out an ancient noisy album track like Third Outing while touring their seventh album and get a similar reaction from the crowd as their biggest singles.

3 Likes

Ah that’s so ace - you should definitely post their article in this thread when they write it!!

I also went with someone who was only familiar with the odd hit and they had the bestest of times, leaving with a massive grin on their face; totally getting the appeal of the band and why they draw such devotion/admiration.

Speaking of crowds going mad for tracks off their first album; last night they aired To Jackson and On a Hotel Wall which went down very well indeed!

Lubomyr Melnyk at the Jazz Cafe. He was ace.

1 Like

He was wasn’t he. Thought even the poetry bit worked well. Unfortunately I had to run for the last train so missed the encore.

The support, James Heather, was also very good.

1 Like

Saw Nought last night at Cafe Oto, I’ve not seen them for a few years and they’ve got a new drummer who also plays in Gong. They were fantastic, for those who haven’t listened to them they’re like Red era King Crimson but maybe with the more math rock elements pushed a bit more in places as well as being more noir lounge jazz in the quieter parts.
There is no weak link in the band they are an absolute joy to watch, I wish they would tour so more people can see them but I know they all do other things musically so getting together isn’t easy.

Fleet Foxes a few nights ago in a seated venue. Thought they were great, got massive applause but saw reviews complaining that no-one was singing and dancing and that reviewer had been told off by a stern middle-aged lady for singing; even though he admitted he couldn’t sing well. Weird.

This Is The Kit. They were all kinds of good. Book hiss to Glasgow’s club night curfews though.

Pigs x7 at the Lexington in London. Blisteringly good.

2 Likes

A band called Paves. Didn’t really do it for me but they’ll probably do well for themselves.

This was sold out before I managed to get tickets. How was Richard Dawson? did he perform with pigs or was he supporting?