Last night's gig was

Very much enjoyed the Manics in Leeds last night. They played two of my favourite tracks; Forever Delayed and There By The Grace Of God.
JDB took a tumble over a speaker, which was hilarious! The Wire and JDB seemed in very good spirits, with some banter between them. The new songs sounded powerful live.

3 Likes

Last weekend’s Homecoming Festival in Cincinnati. The National did a lovely job of putting on a festival. Not a bad set all weekend. Generally… A small laidback festival with a good crowd. https://ntlhomecoming.com/

and The National’s two sets were stunning. I hadn’t seen them since 2013 so well over due. We had Boxer in full, a new song (Light Years), a rare song (Rylan) and a couple of classics I was hoping for (Wasp Nest & All the Wine). The band are in great form.

Oh and loads of Lisa Hannigan all weekend!

2 Likes

Sounds great. Going to the 2 day fest they’re doing in Dublin and hoping for Boxer in full there too.

Yeah they used to share their bill more with Live at Leeds in the past but have stopped in the last few years which is a shame.

My pal won two free tickets to see Drenge the other night so I went with him. What a dull as fuck band

Saw tigercats at the launch of their new album - lots of fun, more bands should have horn sections.

Support was ex-void which is Lan and Owen from joanna gruesome’s new band. They seem to have picked up where they left off, but with a slightly poppier direction. Sounded great.

Just been to see the Limiñanas - what an incredible band. I’ve had a ridiculous week of gigs-
Angel Olsen on Monday
Kamasi Washington on Wednesday
Tropic of Cancer & Paper Dollhouse on Thursday
Yo La Tengo last night
The Limiñanas tonight.

2 Likes

The Limiñanas were terrific at Rough Trade East in January.

1 Like

Saw Loma at Baby’s All Right in Brooklyn last night. Wasn’t too convinced with the album but bought a ticket as I was going on holiday.

Gave the album a few more listens. Very good album and a great gig. Bought a ticket for their Lexington show in London later in the month too now.

2 Likes

Radiator Hospital at Soup Kitchen in Manchester.

Not listened to them before this week, but really enjoyed it. Short set of very short, fast songs - lots of energy and lots of fun. The drummer in particular is :ok_hand:

Crowd was a bit static and quiet for most of the set which was a shame - but we did sing Happy Birthday for the singer so at least there’s that.

Soup Kitchen stinks of damp :slightly_frowning_face:

Jon Hopkins @ Village Underground…

Hex, Cheap Surgery and Rapture. 3 terrific bands from nearby, it was great to see a typical “hardcore” crowd show up for a show that was all female-fronted.

Alright - not sure what thread to put this in but I have a spare ticket to see Japanese Breakfast at Islington assembly hall tonight if anyone fancies it. Late notice so don’t need any money for it - can send on DICE. DM me if interested!

Should be a good gig. Fear Of Men supporting too tonight. I’m seeing Snail Mail tonight at Hackney Oslo. I’ve Japanese Breakfast at Brixton Windmill on Friday.

Would love to see Snail Mail. Was also very excited about this gig but work are absolutely shafting me at the moment so won’t be out in time. Sigh.

Not last night, but it was the dot dot bash on Saturday night, Reading’s annual festival of odd music. Been going for a few years and this was probably the best yet.

Big Lad, who were last on in the big room, were tremendous fun.

But highlight was probably This machine won’t kill fascists but it might get you laid. 4 guitars playing slabs of noise on the floor. Could see them playing much bigger venues; but could do with working on their band name, mind.

Work commitments has screwed me out of a number of gigs too. The only benefit of working where I do now is that’s it’s walking distance to venues like Oslo and Moth Club and a short bus ride to Shacklewell and Dalston Victoria etc.

(Snail Mail play Tufnell Park Dome in October by the way.)

1 Like

Saw Johnny Marr last night at the Brudenell, with a launch gig for his new album.
I think he actually plays more Smiths songs in his set now than Morrissey does.

Went to Vundabar at Sneaky Pete’s and Nap Eyes at the Hug and Pint last week.

Vundabar were great, full of energy and the crowd was pretty into it. Mostly full of French people though for some reason? They did this thing of stopping during their “singles” for some awkward stage banter which i half enjoyed for the ballsiness and half irritated me - you can’t stop halfway through a chorus :grimacing: Supported by a good local band Holy Loaf that are coming out with an album soonish I think.

Nap Eyes were loads of fun too, just seemed so happy and grateful to be there - seem like such dorks in the sweetest way. Only got to see half of their set due to the last train ffs but luckily the support was Haley Heynderickx who I like just as much as them - so almost a double bill for me. Never heard an audience so silent and captivated by a support act, can;t wait for her to come back with a full band!

I had to abandon that Nap Eyes gig during the first support as I was super hungover and my anxiety levels were through the roof. Really gutted