Last night's gig was

Blimey! I checked my emails and evidently I ignored the GDPR stuff with Showfilmfirst. Back on the list now. The site is right behind my flat (once they open the intended venue), and as much as I love Field Music, £50 would be too much given that I know little of The The’s stuff…

…which is hypothetical, mind, as I’ll be in Scotland. Burgle my flat if you can work out which one it is.

Yeah, it’s closer for me as well (live in East Bristol a bit up the Feeder). I’ll look for the flat with the lights off, assuming there will be some good music stuff to pick from!

Showfilmfirst is a website, they were one of the ones doing £2.50 tickets for the Hyde park gigs. Very occasionally they offer the cheap tickets (free but with a £3 processing fee).

1 Like

So I’ve seen NIN about 8 or 10 times, inc their first UK gig at the Astoria when I was ?17 (and have a smashed up guitar from it in my loft). They’re my ultimate “event” band and I’d crawl over broken glass (or even sign up to southbank membership) to see them.

Friday at RFH was amazing and a deep dive into The Fragile which was ace, but tonight - OMG - they just destroyed it. For a band of their vintage to play two such different and yet brilliant sets… tonight was twice heavy and full on and driving - and twice as good - as Friday. Just brilliant. On such a high.

3 Likes

That was ridiculously good. So happy :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Great pictures!

Tonight was my favourite NIN show yet - loved that they skewed the set more towards the EPs than just relying on banging out the hits. Love hearing how they’ve evolved the songs in to a live setting - God Break Down The Door in particular sounded huge. Had goosebumps through loads of it. I think they might be my all time favourite band. Incredible show.

1 Like

Hearing so much stuff from the EPs was great - so many highlights! Loved how heavy Burning Bright was, God Break Down The Door was massive, and whilst Less Than and The Background World don’t break much in the way of new ground, they sounded fantastic.

Only downside is, it’s left me buzzing so I’m still awake and tomorrow/today’s going to be a looooong day at work…

Another vote for a great show from Nine Inch Nails last night :+1:

I’ve seen them about 10 times (the first time being waaaay back in '91 :open_mouth: ) but think that last time was back in about 2007. Thought that they absolutely smashed it last night. So much energy throughout, plus the sound and lightshow/stage setup were great. Nice choice of cover versions too…

1 Like

1 Like

That was an outrageous show. They incendiary last night. One of those gigs where it felt like you were watching the best band in the world at their peak. Great crowd, sound, lights. Interesting set list, with 2 relevant covers. Loved it.

2 Likes

I’d be very surprised if any of the gigs happen in the originally stated venue…

Aye, I used to be signed up to them, but missed the GDPR email so was removed!

Feeling pretty good for less than three hours sleep! Couple more pics from last night:

Was chatting with the tv about our previous NiN gigs (not as far back as @Clang but I’ve seen them on most UK tours since Self Destruct, and the tv’s been coming with me since With Teeth)- of the ones we’ve been to together, we both have a lot of love for one of their Brixton Academy dates (the last one?) when Josh Freeze and Aaron North were both part of the line up, but last night topped that. Keep thinking about how I’d have laughed at the idea of them being able to play gigs with that kind of intensity in 2018, if it had been suggested to me back in my angsty youth. This and Nick Cave in the space of a month. What a time to be alive and getting older!

5 Likes

Deaf Kids - Stag & Hounds, Bristol - Pounding cosmic crust punk noise assault from Brazil. Super.

1 Like

Just back from Flight of the Conchords. Absolute pros, makes me want to rewatch the series. Posting this while waiting for pizza to cook. Quite hungry.

2 Likes

I was at this too! Just got back to Bristol. Making it two thirds new songs was a genius move.

1 Like

I thought that, too. Doing that and then saving the more crowd-pleasey ones for the encore was a good shout

1 Like

The wave pictures at the Jericho in oxford. Reliably excellent (as usual)

QOTSA and Iggy Pop at Finsbury Park. This was being run by Festival Republic, the organisation was shocking, bar queues snaking around the site with stories of 1 hour + waits, not enough toilets and some really poor sound for Iggy Pop (left to get some food half way through). It seemed like they planned for only half the people. It meant I was on the water points for my liquids all night. By the time QOTSA started I was sunburned, sober and fed up expecting the poor sound from Iggy to follow over. However, we managed to get to the front and QOTSA who absolutly killed it, they were simply stunning and a great set list, the band were on fire. It takes a really special band to save an awful experience and they did it. Definitely think twice about attending a FR event again though. Mention for Curtis Harding who was on the smaller stage and was also a lot of fun.

After yesterday, I will never attend another Festival Republic event again and would urge everyone on here to do the same.

Abysmal experience.

1 Like