Last night's gig was

Bonus lunchtime show from AJ Lambert

Stopped into Rough Trade East earlier to find a surprise in-store going on. Pretty nice stuff - kind of loungey Leonard Cohen meet Julee Cruise. Asked one of the staff about her, and turns out she’s Frank Sinatra’s granddaughter which is quite the claim to fame.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m jealous. Looks good. I was trying to get the day off today and would have gone to that. No day off. No lunchtime gig.

I’m at Rough Trade East later for TOY tonight.

1 Like

TOY at Rough Trade East

Then the 242 bus to Hackney Central for Du Blonde at The Moth Club.

1 Like

Fucked Up. Garage. Dreams Dosed. Brilliant.

Black Midi at Bloc, as ever they were excellent. Seeing them again on Monday at the Windmill :grimacing:

Messthetics at the Louisiana in Bristol. Great stuff. Unbelievable to see two legends (to me, anyway) in such a tiny room, plus Anthony the guitarist was right on it. And I got to shake hands with Joe and Brendan like a sad old fanboy wanker.

1 Like

Similar to last Friday. Swearin’ at The Moth Club.

Before that it was Blood Red Shoes at Rough Trade East. As with last Friday it was the 242 bus that i used to yo-yo between the venues.

Great night overall. I’ll get a doner and chips box at the German Doner Kebab shop in Camden to further replicate late Friday. I’m at the same Camden pub posting this.

Dilly Dally at The Garage. Their first album was pretty good. Their second album wasn’t as good.

Live, they’re fucking amazing. Brilliant gig.

How were Swearin’? Seeing them in Leeds on Saturday and really looking forward to it.

Swearin’ were great fun. A short set, maybe 30 minutes but it was excellent.

1 Like

Goat Girl @ Brixton Windmill…

Part of Independent Venue Week, hence why they were playing the charming confines (I’m not joking, I love going to gigs at The Windmill - I used to live about 200 metres away and was there at least once a week) of Brixton’s finest whereas the last time I saw them they were headlining Koko. They seemed perfectly at ease to be back on the smaller stage, and obviously enjoyed being able to interact with the crowd. Played most of the album, plus a few tracks I didn’t know - don’t know if they were new songs or oldies not on the album.

They made everything look so effortlessly cool as they smashed through their roster of two minute songs. Could have done with them coming on a little earlier than 22:25 though - I’ve got a babysitter waiting at home! Lovely stuff…

EDIT: just noticed that the Windmill logo on the back wall looks a bit suss :scream::scream::scream_cat:

3 Likes

1 Like

White Lies at Concorde 2 (while on shift).

His voice has to be one of my favourites ever. Would have liked Getting Even (sure they played it last time they played here) but the new songs, like Tokyo, sound very good indeed. The piano solo towards the end was a particular highlight.

The support, Boniface, were also cool. I think they could be big.

Cloud Nothings at EartH.

New album played in it’s entirety (blurred for spoilers)

Whole performance seemed rushed and I lost count how many times they fell out of sync with the drummer (who as usual played out of his skin).

Forced to conclude they’re just not really a good live band tbh

Saw Malcolm Middleton at Voodoo in Belfast.
Just him on his own with an acoustic guitar.
Really good show and he’s a good lad.
One or two absolute roasters in the crowd though :expressionless:

Just Mustard at the Bermondsey Social. Just Mustard - Wednesday - YouTube

1 Like

Just Mustard produce a beautiful racket from this lot from Dundalk in Ireland. The are a young band. Lots of distorded fuzzy guitars and feed back and angelic female vocals.

Check them out her:

2 Likes

@ thesewoodenideas did you see Drahla who supported Cloud Nothings. Like them. Very early Sonic Youth sounding, from Leeds.