Last night's gig was

We’re talking about Evan here. :slight_smile:

Good job he’s got that back catalogue.

Saw The Lemonheads in Glasgow on Saturday night. It was mostly great, but occasionally shambolic. His voice still sounds brilliant, however, i preferred the acoustic set with just him and the guitarist to the full band stuff. He played Teenage Fanclub’s ‘Ain’t That Enough’…which was nice. Setlist was:

1. Hospital
  2. The Great Big No
  3. It’s a Shame About Ray
  4. Rudderless
  5. Abandoned
  6. Left For Dead
  7. Tenderfoot
  8. My Idea
  9. It Looks Like You
  10. I Just Can’t Take It Anymore
  11. Mt Drug Buddy
  12. Hard Drive
  13. Being Around
  14. The Outdoor Type
  15. Why Do You Do This To Yourself?
  16. Ride With Me
  17. Streets of Baltimore
  18. Ain’t That Enough
  19. The Moon’s a Balloon
  20. Skulls
  21. Big Gay Heart
  22. Straight To You
  23. Hannah & Gabi
  24. Stove
  25. If I Could Talk I’d Tell You
  26. Can’t Forget
  27. Into Your Arms
  28. Frank Mills
1 Like

Frank Mills! Would have loved to have heard that, but he did do ‘Different Drum’.
The voice was up and down it’s fair to say, and funnily enough I preferred the whole band bit, got a bit dull with just the other guitarist imo, but a decent night in all.

Here is the video of it!

I got the feeling that it was unplanned as it was done as a 2nd encore. I liked the acoustic stuff, especially ‘Why Do You Do This To Yourself?’. The band seemed a little under-rehearsed and there were a few hiccups, but it was mostly very enjoyable. Evan can sometimes seem a little bored playing the old hits and the way he races through the songs with barely a pause between them suggests that he just wants it over with (possibly).

I can see that, but maybe write some new ones then!

Another Sky at the Hare & Hounds in Birmingham last night. They’re a phenomenal band and I couldn’t be prouder of their recent success. Supports (Imogen opening, Chartreuse second) were really good too.

Same!

Surfbort were super great at Moth Club last night, it’s nothing particularly new but they’re loads of fun and really well drilled with lots of energy and big dumb choruses. Some mates who hadn’t heard of them before were telling me after that was the most fun they’ve had at a gig in ages, that’s pretty cool.

The main support The Cosmics were great too, all really young but sound somewhere between the Oh Sees, Shannon and the Clams and Sabbath maybe? Again full of energy was really fun, I really hope they do well not just because they’re good but they’re super enthusiastic and polite as people too, was lovely to see that in a young band (REALLY SOUNDING OLD HERE HA)

I used to go to that space for subsidised boozes when I worked at Media City :smiley: It was rubbish - hope they’re making better use of it now…

Just seen Neneh Cherry live in Dublin. What a performer. Doubt I’ll have more fun at a gig this year.

1 Like

Only seen her once. She’s brilliant.

I saw Piroshka at Rough Trade East last night. They were good live. The album is a grower and as an aging 90s indie kid I really like the new album.

I saw a semi-random band called Abjects tonight at The Shacklewell Arms. They were ok.

1 Like

A day late, but saw Bill Ryder-Jones at The Bodega in Nottingham On Friday night. Amazing gig.
For a guy who sings such sad songs, I didn’t expect him to be so funny.

Kathryn Joseph at the trades club playing, “shit sad songs”. Words can’t do her justice. Go see if you can.

5 Likes

Vein the other night at Temple of Boom. Band was tight, crowd was so up for it. Glad they’re still playing stuff off their split with .Gif from God

The Lemonheads at Bristol SWX. Exactly what I expected… bit shambolic in places but that back catalogue. What amazed me was that his voice is still there after all he’s done to himself.

It all ended pretty abruptly, but not before they’d played about 100 songs.

2 Likes

Doe at t’Brude. It was nice to hear some of their pre-album tracks that they were playing when I first started seeing them back in 2013. My mate in the support band who toured with them (the ever so good Milk Crimes) said they played a different set every night which is cool.

Saw her in Leeds last week - she was great but the crowd was like a hen do, which for a Tuesday night gig playing songs largely off a pretty sombre album came as a bit of a surprise.

Likely that they were all there for Buffalo Stance tbf.

I enjoyed that. His voice sounded great (on the whole) and with such an extensive set-list there were plenty of peaks (Clang Bang Clang!). A bit ropey at times but better than I expected. Great to see Chris Brokaw on stage too.

1 Like