Last night's gig was

Saw the highly enjoyable Annenmaykantereit in Munich on Tuesday night. Had an absolute whale of time despite not being able to speak any German myself. Their live set kinda reminded me of a healthy blend of Beirut and Mac DeMarco.

Poppy Ackroyd at (the good) EArtH venue. Hadn’t been to the good one before. Fantastic gig. She was supported by Julia Kent who was just as good.

Great venue. This might give a better impression/view of the place. Unreserved seating. Works well. Great view stood at the back too.

Lemonheads - Manchester Ritz. Decent set list, but pretty shambolic at times.

Low supported by Hilary Woods at Pustervik in Gothenburg (capacity 300). Only really discovered them off the back of the last album, what a fantastic band. Do You Know How to Waltz into Lazy was magical.

White Denim and BC Camplight at Bristol Academy. This was also a Christmas present to the Dad and Father in law. I think I’ve seen White Denim touring every album since the debut and think they just keep getting better live (despite always being great). I still really love workout holiday but haven’t bought an album since fits, their music on record doesn’t really excited me anymore, live though they are phenomenal and the songs really come to life. White Denim played for about 2 hours and BC Camplight were excellent, great value for £20, everyone loved it!

Saw The Limiñanas at The 100 Club.

There’s obviously a thread on DiS about the venue’s stage times posting etc. I won’t comment on that here as I’ve made my views clear on that thread.

Limiñanas. Simply a brilliant band both on record and live. It was a very very packed 100 Club. I’ve never liked the venue but tonight worked really well.

Seeing them in Bristol next week, and funnily enough this is exactly what I’m expecting.

Me too, for Kentish Town Forum.

I hope he doesn’t play The Eagles cover. Who records an Eagles cover in 2019. His new album is shit. Crap.

Still. I’ll be turning up for the gig and will buy “ok” looking merchandise and more pints than I really should. All of a sudden, the idiot isn’t Evan.

Oh yes, one funny moment in ‘Brass Buttons’ where he forgot the words and did a bit of a Vic Reeves ‘club singer’ thing.

I saw Lemonheads at the KTF (Town & Country Club) in 1989 with Buffalo Tom and Edsel Auctioneer as support. Great night. I’m seeing them in Bristol too on Monday. Maybe he’ll have honed his act by the time he gets here.

We’re talking about Evan here. :slight_smile:

Good job he’s got that back catalogue.

Saw The Lemonheads in Glasgow on Saturday night. It was mostly great, but occasionally shambolic. His voice still sounds brilliant, however, i preferred the acoustic set with just him and the guitarist to the full band stuff. He played Teenage Fanclub’s ‘Ain’t That Enough’…which was nice. Setlist was:

1. Hospital
  2. The Great Big No
  3. It’s a Shame About Ray
  4. Rudderless
  5. Abandoned
  6. Left For Dead
  7. Tenderfoot
  8. My Idea
  9. It Looks Like You
  10. I Just Can’t Take It Anymore
  11. Mt Drug Buddy
  12. Hard Drive
  13. Being Around
  14. The Outdoor Type
  15. Why Do You Do This To Yourself?
  16. Ride With Me
  17. Streets of Baltimore
  18. Ain’t That Enough
  19. The Moon’s a Balloon
  20. Skulls
  21. Big Gay Heart
  22. Straight To You
  23. Hannah & Gabi
  24. Stove
  25. If I Could Talk I’d Tell You
  26. Can’t Forget
  27. Into Your Arms
  28. Frank Mills

Frank Mills! Would have loved to have heard that, but he did do ‘Different Drum’.
The voice was up and down it’s fair to say, and funnily enough I preferred the whole band bit, got a bit dull with just the other guitarist imo, but a decent night in all.

Here is the video of it!

I got the feeling that it was unplanned as it was done as a 2nd encore. I liked the acoustic stuff, especially ‘Why Do You Do This To Yourself?’. The band seemed a little under-rehearsed and there were a few hiccups, but it was mostly very enjoyable. Evan can sometimes seem a little bored playing the old hits and the way he races through the songs with barely a pause between them suggests that he just wants it over with (possibly).

I can see that, but maybe write some new ones then!

Another Sky at the Hare & Hounds in Birmingham last night. They’re a phenomenal band and I couldn’t be prouder of their recent success. Supports (Imogen opening, Chartreuse second) were really good too.

Same!

Surfbort were super great at Moth Club last night, it’s nothing particularly new but they’re loads of fun and really well drilled with lots of energy and big dumb choruses. Some mates who hadn’t heard of them before were telling me after that was the most fun they’ve had at a gig in ages, that’s pretty cool.

The main support The Cosmics were great too, all really young but sound somewhere between the Oh Sees, Shannon and the Clams and Sabbath maybe? Again full of energy was really fun, I really hope they do well not just because they’re good but they’re super enthusiastic and polite as people too, was lovely to see that in a young band (REALLY SOUNDING OLD HERE HA)

Big Joanie at a new venue in White City called HQI.

The venue was a bit fiendish to find and was, apparently, a BBC club before the BBC moved. It was alright, just a circular room, no stage, and the bands played in the middle. There’s no actual pa, so the sound was just coming from the amps, which meant that standing too close or to one side didn’t give the best overall sound. When I moved further back (only about 3 metres back), the sound was way better.

I enjoyed Big Joanie a lot and would definitely go and see them again. They’ve got a few more gigs in different places this week I think.