Last night's gig was

Body Type at The Moth Club. A brilliant female fronted Aussie band. For fans of Goat Girl, Charly Bliss and Camp Cope. Their new EP is brilliant.

W.H. Lung. Even better live than on record. The singer has some interesting moves as well.

2 Likes

I wasn’t dancing. (well maybe a bit to Jesus’ son) I did enjoy it though, after a slow start. The sterile venue and perfunctory sound does the performers no favour. Katie Greer is brilliant. Deserves a better band imho.

1 Like

Gaz Coombes & the Hot Fruit Orchestra at the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford.

A fantastic one-off charity concert - Gaz backed by a full orchestra conducted by Luke Lewis.

The sound in there was astonishingly good (well done, Christopher Wren) and really did justice to some brilliant new arrangements of songs from the recent albums. It was all being recorded and filmed, so hopefully it will get a release in some form.

As usual with such things it made me wish I had stuck with the trumpet - being part of an orchestra seems fun. :trumpet:

Coincidentally, it was 15 years to the day since I saw Supergrass on the ‘Supergrass is 10’ tour. Gaz has still got it!

she should be huge

Haha well maybe not the whole crowd then but down the front there was a fair few of us! Whereabouts were you stood? Agreed about the venue, hadn’t been there before and not sure on it. Katie is very charismatic (thought the bowie esque cat suit was very cool) and flat out great front person! Disagree about needing a ‘better band’ though, think Daniele and G.L. bring a fair bit to the table (completely didn’t clock on that Daniele takes lead vocals on a couple of tracks on Kansas)…

At the back obvs. Tbf, the drummer was pretty cool and her lead vocal contributions did bring a bit extra to the party. I just don’t think the guitarist is particularly good and the overall sound was a bit flat in places. (again, this is partly the venue) I didn’t think this when I saw them a couple of years ago but they definitely didn’t seem as tight. this time.

Juliana Hatfield at O2 Islington

Shit venue. It’s always been that. Thankfully, I paid £5.95 for a pint of Carlsberg Export (twice):roll_eyes:.

Surprisingly a good gig. As an ageing indie kid I always feel “obligated” to see your 90s heroes when they play even though you know that they won’t be great live. They definitely weren’t great but a good fun gig. We got My Sister and Spin The Bottle. Can’t complain.

(I complained about the beer selection at O2 venues and their prices to my mates via text during the night and won’t repeat myself here again.)

Beak > and Snapped Ankles at Concorde 2

Was right good, nice and loud and both bands had plenty of on stage presence. Sound was dodgy last time I saw Snapped Ankles so was good to see them at full power. Hadn’t seen Beak> before and wasn’t disappointed. Plenty of on stage banter between Beak, mostly coming from Geoff. Great set list and sold out crowd seemed to love it.