Last Weekend of the Season Football Thread

Been to both Wembley’s too often to remember much.

I do know that during the early 80’s I went to see England every time they played and it co-incided with the longest stretch of time they played there without winning.

Saw Chelsea lose 4-1 to Man Utd in the pissing rain, having stood up two American nurses because it was our first Cup Final in my life time as a supporter.

But also, the Di Matteo Middlesboro game, Drogba beating Man U in injury time, Chelsea losing to Spurs in the League Cup, various finals and semis against Arsenal, which we always won, some deathly victories against Villa and Newcastle.

I’ve been to the Women’s FA Cup Final the last four years, and it is invariably a better day out than 90% of the above.

9 Likes

Saw Northampton Town beat Swansea in 1997 in the Division 3 final. John Frain free kick in injury time to win it:

Remember thinking at the time that Swansea was some tiny club with no fans (they took around 5,000 fans compared to 25,000 Northampton fans), but it was actually just the timing coincided with the latter stages of their wilderness years.
I think Elis James mentioned it on quickly Kevin they went Div 4—> 3 —> 2 ----1 —> 2 —> 3 ---->4 in 8 seasons which is remarkable.

Interestingly Northampton made the Div 2 playoff final the following year and lost to Grimsby in the final.

Big Sam sacked.

1 Like

£6million pay off for 6 months work. Not bad.

3 Likes

Seems a bit of an error of judgement to me. Bit surprised as Gündoğan comes across as a very smart bloke. I guess there’s no onus on anybody to be politically-minded, and i imagine there are managers and agents pushing players into these sort of things.

1 Like

Took them from bottom 3 to 8th and gets booted :joy::joy:

Enough about the DiS mods though

total sympathy for not wanting to be managed by Allardyce but that job’s a bit of a poisoned chalice innit
consistently overrated squads & fans that maybe expect too much, even if they brought Pep in then they’d only finish 1 place higher next season

No real room for improvement without spending hundreds of millions

Zabba makes Rooney look like Alec Guinness…

Come in, spunk your budget on loads of slow #10s, don’t play any of em together, still finish 8th. Easy job

Speak for yerself m9

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32776552

Weird that I found a drawing of gunnersaurus kind’ve touching

2 Likes

I was at this :smile:

back when young Sev hadn’t realise how awful supporting England was but also not aware it would take this long for Scotland to be even remotely good again

Obviously there’s issues and both of those experiences sound shitty. Never had any issues when I lived there myself.

It’s a wonderful city

fuck had forgotten about this :smiley:

Aside from the above 2, I have also seen:

England 0 - Germany 1 (was in german colours natürlich)
Sheffield United 4 - Hull 5 (which was one of the best matches I’ve ever witnessed)
Detroit Lions 22 - Atlanta Falcons 21

And in Cardiff:

Norwich 1 - Birmingham 1 (4-3 Birmingham on pens)