Latitude 2018

Sleeper!

Crikey, bit shite that.

Iā€™ve been the last couple of years, really like it so iā€™ll Prob go this year as well, although it would be a bonus if the bands were good.

DiS slating a line up with Japandroids, Trail of Dead and Mogwai, blimey

4 Likes

Same here, except we couldnā€™t resist New Order headlining on the Sunday night two years ago. Otherwise weā€™ve always been in a tent at the end of the night. Soulwax were great and John Hegley was excellent in a packed poetry tent after New Order finished.

I knowā€¦wonder if itā€™s Rag and Bone Man thatā€™s the problem?

Had forgotten about New Order two years ago :+1: Annoyingly we had to head on the Sunday evening as my mum was looking after our youngest (only just one at the time so a bit young for festivaling), but I can imagine they would be a great act to close out the main stage for the weekend.

First time I ever saw New Order live was headlining the Saturday night of Reading shortly after Republic came out :open_mouth:

It was great, but sadly it was identical to the televised Glasto appearance a fortnight beforeā€¦but thatā€™s the way it is now. Headliners donā€™t get to be spontaneous!

My second time seeing them too. The first time was at Oxegen when they were on the second stage. Nearly everyone went to see the Foo Fighters so it was a small but great crowd.

lol Bungay mate get it right

they donā€™t sell festival tickets but

Awful.

I think New Order probs the last band Iā€™ll ever have seen at Latitude after years of going regularly. We saw Black Mountain in the woods and they were really good. Finished in time for us to get a curry and sit watching New Orderā€™s last few songs. Enjoyed that year a lot, but it was clearly sliding away from what made it good. Weā€™d already resolved not to go again on the Friday, had a nice time and that but it was just a completely different vibe to when we started going.

We went in 2013, 2014 and 2016, enjoyed them all but 2014ā€™s weather was a bit rubbish!

The Thursday night is always a magical experience somehow - itā€™s just great to walk through the woods to the bridge over the lake.

Saturday night is pretty horrible by comparison as everyone seems a bit drunk or tired!

Seriously thinking of going again, but will wait out the bill for a bit.

1 Like

With the exception of Saturday night (when all the non-mugs watched Robyn + Royksopp and not Damon Albarn) it didnā€™t ever really rain. Day times were all blazing sunshine from what I remember. Iā€™ve never really seen miserable weather there, but it did get stupidly muddy in 2012

Yes, I should have said specifically that our tent had a rip in it and we ended up sleeping in the car that night. We spent the thunderstorm in the poetry tent, started out with Damon Albarn but started falling asleep by the third song :smiley:

The whole ripped tent car sleeping scenario sounds like ultimate nightmare, I feel for 2014 you.

1 Like

Bunch more stuff added to the line up (The Orielles :+1:)ā€¦

https://www.latitudefestival.com/news/new-names-announced-latitude-festival-2018

The comedy is looking very strong, as per usual. Also, Ed Milliband :open_mouth:

Didnā€™t go last year, but have heard the literature tent and outdoor theatre got replaced. Line-up seems to confirm this with some kind of ā€œSpeakeasyā€ instead of more choiceā€¦

Anyone know?

Looks like Iā€™ll be covering this for DiS this year, line-up is pretty good when you mostly ignore the main stage:

Solange
Parquet Courts
Alex Cameron (I guess The Killers by extension as heā€™ll probably join them too)
Mogwai
Jon Hopkins
The Breeders
Trail of Dead
Hinds
Alvvays
Tune-Yards
Idles
Preoccupations
Lower Slaughter
Nelson Can
Spinning Coin
Belle & Sebastian (I guess)

Plenty of stuff to keep me going anyway

1 Like

A bunch more performing arts stuff added today (shut up, itā€™s a nice way to spend those afternoon hours):

https://www.latitudefestival.com/dance-theatre-spoken-word-announcement?utm_source=270419&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=LAT18_NW&utm_content=AN6&goal=0_317cda3fe5-aa0fbec1a8-57929493&mc_cid=aa0fbec1a8&mc_eid=ad8e5ad224

Plus day by day splits:

https://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up/artist-a-z#/artists/byDay

Bunch more music added to the line-up:

https://www.latitudefestival.com/news/additional-food-music-and-family-programming-latitude-2018

On a personal note, pleased with Lee Scratch Perry/Mad Professor set, Stealing Sheep and The Go! Team - all lovely stuff :+1: