Latitude Festival 2021

Confirmed

Tempted to try and go to the Friday

2 Likes

Yeah, saw that. Finding it hard not to keep returning to the one rule for them, another for the rest mantra.

Ben

1 Like

I’m excited about the festival. I feel bad for the festivals which haven’t been able to go ahead as planned. Melvin has definitely looked like he’s been driving for this. I hope this helps other small independent festivals later in the summer by providing the evidence they need that it can happen safely.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree, and am genuinely thrilled for all those going to Latitude - I’ve had many good times there over four festivals in the past.

I just can’t shake off the fury that I know I’ll feel if Green Man, occurring over a month later, is canned. But that’s just me being a self-obsessed tit.

Ben

1 Like

Yes, I hope Green Man is able to go ahead as well.

It does seem that because Festival Republic have deeper pockets they have been able to run events at a loss in order to support and be close to the government on what’s happening.

I’m sure it will have influenced things.

More additions to the lineup:

Latitude featuring on GMB and The Today Programme this morning - guess the proximity to ‘Freedom Day’ makes its newsworthiness inevitable…

Damon Albarn just added for Saturday with a sunset by the lake set. Sounds lovely.

1 Like

Did not know that Damon was sporting a mullet these days…

Looks good for his age

Woah, 53! He is indeed a handsome man.

Bit surprised this isn’t sold out yet. There was about three weeks earlier in the year where consumer confidence was high and everyone was gagging for festival tickets and stuff was selling out instantly. I guess people are just really fatigued or hesitant that they’ll go ahead at this point.

A few bands seem to be pulling out of this with positive covid test results.

Was at the Fontaines DC gig last night. Great show and, possibly unrelated, but when the guitarist got friendly with the front row of the crowd towards the end you did fear the worst. The crowd was lively.

Aye, sleaford mods replacing em

Really questioning why I am not at Latitude this weekend

1 Like

Latitude has been a lot of fun, chemical brothers were great last night, we’ve baled early because the kids but it has been a lovely time. I hope that there aren’t any serious covid outbreaks due to it. I’m really curious as the the data.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Did you see Damon on the Waterfront?

I went to Latitudes 2009 through to 2016, love the site and still think fondly of it but due to some life changes can’t see myself going back. I’d love to see a band on the Sunrise stage again. It seems to have changed a lot, as you’d expect I guess, I had a look at the map and it seems like they’ve really scaled the arts stuff back, I’d be interested to know from anybody that’s been if that’s fair? Used to love spending time in the Poetry, Literary and Cabaret tents and all the outdoor theatre stuff too, the bands were the main draw sure but all of that was really important and besides my friends loving it too is the main reason I’d trek down from Derbyshire. I guess there’ll have been money saving due to obvious reasons but it seemed to be going that way before

1 Like

We wanted to see damon but we saw villagers instead and then the area was closed off. I wish he had been on a bigger stage. Meant we also saw working mens club who were good. There were so many clashes can’t see them all :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was still a lot of that stuff, they have just renamed some stages, the listening post is where they have literature, poetry and live podcasts rather than 2 tents. The film and music tent is now the ballroom but has films in it. So a bit scaled back but still lots.

1 Like

Yeah it can be awful getting to see anyone on the Waterfront, beautiful stage that it is, let alone someone who could headline the whole thing anyway. First year I went The Irrepressibles opened the festival with their emotive chamberpop on the lake, their stage was a floating cube. The set was slightly curtailed due to a storm, flashes of red lighting in the distance, awesome.

Just looked at Damon’s his setlist, Hong Kong, Melancholy Hill, Out of Time and This Is A Low, oooft. It also seems like he is mullet free again.

I didn’t used to like Villagers too much but I’ve really come round, Art of Pretending to Swim is great, bet that was a brilliant set

1 Like