Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild

Didn’t know there was a release date for Travis or Daemon yet. That’s good news.

(Can’t see myself getting Pokémon or Smash and own NSMBU already. Dark Souls will keep me busy until May anyhow)

Appreciate many of you will buy those games though…

I still haven’t played it despite having had a Switch and the game for yonks.

This is why I’ve decided to get a new console. Life’s too short for me to wait for Nintendo to decide to announce something I want to play. I never got to this point with any other Nintendo Console. I think my tastes are changes or the Nintendo has changed their focus to other styles. Meanwhile there’s a growing list of great games on other systems I know I’ll like.

I’ve adjusted to this now. I learned with the Wii and DEFINITELY the Wii U that the Nintendo games I most adore aren’t always the ones that sell so well or regularly get sequels.

If Switch had been another home console, I’d have skipped it. But the portability fits my life situation perfectly and is a great time to play indies, whilst there’s enough 3rd party stuff like Doom, Dark Souls and Rocket League to tide me over. Just about…

With Nintendo first party titles, I often find their systems are heavily bookended by greats and there are a few things in-between that go under the radar but aren’t necessarily my bag. The Wii U rereleases are doing a good job of disguising that on Switch.

I don’t think I quite need another machine just yet, due to missing so much of the last gen. But if I hadn’t, I’d definitely be getting another console.

You should try Warframe when it drops this month, that game is a timesink if you get into it

2 Likes

Not a wii u owner then? :rofl:

1 Like

Wii u was barren but had a few classics. Also, it coincided with me having young children for most of it so no time to play anything anyway.

Aye it really was horrendous at times but got me into the habit of 100% games. Also got into emulation and retro big then. Couldn’t be bothered being a 2 console guy. I’m buying and playing more games now than ever before with Switch.

1 Like

Hey everyone. Back again.

So I’m not trying to get all the shrines, after reading (what I think is a ridiculous amount) a lot. Of online guides to make sure I’ve understood all the mechanics that I apparently didn’t.

One funny one being I didn’t realise you could put something down properly. Pick up with A and the only option I could figure out was pressing the arm button (X on my controller). Duh, apparently Y is place down. Jesus.

Anyway! I wanted to. Let you know that I beliewthis is my favourite game ever and I thank you all for helping. Now, if I am looking for a new game, is Skyrim is good idea?

2 Likes

Zelda DLC.
Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee might be fun and uncomplicated (not taking the piss)
And Smash is out very soon too :+1:

Avoid:
Xenoblade - great game but reckon it will baffle you (again, not taking the piss)

What are you looking for in your next game?

Big open worlds?
Great story?
Satisfying mechanics?
Tackling a classic?

I loved Skyrim on the Switch! I’m one of the few who had never played it before, and it was a blast. The game deserves its reputation and it suits the Switch nicely.

I deliberately played it before Zelda, aware that BOTW would be a big leap forward in terms of an open world adventure. The other way round, Skyrim could underwhelm in a couple of ways. That sense of discovery, and of almost always rewarding your curiosity and experimentation, isn’t as developed in Skyrim. Also the landscape is (obviously) not nearly as varied and rich. It is still an absorbing world, with many distinct towns, a decent main story and lots of well-written quests. I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood stuff!

I think once I wrap up BOTW I’ll need to fill that gap with another epic, and I don’t tend to get on with JRPGs like Xenoblade. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is due out for Switch at the end of the year and I’m wondering whether to give that a whirl.

The DLC sounded like just more Zelda, but harder and tbh that isn’t what I want.

Yeah, maybe. That sounds about right.

yeah I got the Zelda DLC this year and it was fine but I was kind of disappointed, it didn’t add anything all that useful and after such a long game just a few more shrines and combat challenges wasn’t really keeping me interested.

2 Likes

If you’ve never played Skyrim, it’s definitely a good idea.

Never played it, so that’s a good shout.

It did a couple of interesting things but neither were game changing.

I enjoyed the way the 2nd DLC pack made you super weak at the start; made you tackle the game differently. The Divine Beast and final boss was also clever. Most of the stuff inbetween was pretty much more of the same.

1 Like

Really liked how both DLCs made you weak as shit and actually have to rely on wits and skills again after having become a tank. Well worth the price. Also lovestarting in Hyrule field and making a beeline for the castle on the mastercycle and beating the shit out of every guardian en route now.

1 Like

There aren’t many big open world games on Switch. Skyrim and Xenoblade are the obvious standouts. Xenoblade 2 just launched a cheaper, standalong DLC pack that is a tighter, more introductory way into the series. So could be worth starting with Torna if the look of it intrigues you.

Not played Skyrim, but it’s on my list too.

There are loads of other games that tick those boxes in isolation, but not in totality. LA Noire has a good story I hear; Bayonetta 1&2 are mechanically a joy to play; DOOM is incredibly atmospheric; I’m adoring Dark Souls.