Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild

I too would like @escutcheon to get Dark Souls and start a blog on it.

3 Likes

On 112 shrines. Gonna find those other 8 if it kills me.

1 Like

You can do it! I found all 120. Though I did resort to looking at a map overview to find the rough area I needed to be in once I hit 105, as I was looking for a needle in a haystackā€¦

I think I reached 116 or 117 without doing that. Got a couple left - going to have to resort to an online map to find those.

As a sidenote, I liked the way the DLC maps out the new shrines.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m currently just wandering around in large bits of map where there arenā€™t shrines at the moment, and hoping to hear the beep. Found one in Gerudo that Iā€™d missed last night.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone for the map technique.

I hated the tracker, so only turned it on for those last 10. Ruined the immersion and surprise, for me. Just compared my map to one on my phone so I knew roughly what area to be in. Still was a struggle to find a few of them as the entrances are not where you might thinkā€¦ 3 of the ones Iā€™d missed were some of the best ones in the game, so I was glad I persisted. One was bordering on a mini-dungeon.

This was partly what I did towards the end - also just looked over the map itself for strange bits of landscape at times going ā€œthere HAS to be something there.ā€

Yup. Had it off pretty much all game for that reason. So many shrines donā€™t need that functionality either.

Yeah. The DLC thing that retraces your footsteps is useful as well.

True dat.

1 Like

So satisfying to see how many times the guardian and Stone Talus on the plateau destroyed me when I happened upon them. Innocent times.

The lightning one the stag on and the be nude ona blood moon and stand in a particular spot ones were well hidden/cool.

1 Like

My girlfriend got me a pack of bokoblin curry for my birthday. I canā€™t tell if it was just the sensory weirdness, but it made me feel pretty sick.

20 Likes

so Iā€™ve done the fourth divine beast, and wondering whether I should head over to the castle and get this done and come back to tidy everything up in the future, or do some more shrines and do it properly, have done 70 iirc - is that enough? Iā€™ve upgraded some of my stuff but could probably do with a bit more upgrading regardless

also, Barry has been brought back, joining Barry III and newcomer Barry IV. did have a Roy for a while but he was a disobedient twat and got killed by a guardian as a result of just randomly stopping when he had a laser aimed at him. wonā€™t be resurrecting him.

Watched this recently. This guy has done a load of videos on the other zeldas too and is a seasoned zelda vet. He has some pretty good points on where they could improve on the next game.

• Double durability. Great idea, helps to encourage experimentation, but too harsh this time.
  • Dungeons more like Hyrule Castle instead of beasts.
  • have dungeons huddles in the land scale you stumble across, rather than big build up in a town first.
  • stop the player being able to replenish health or stamina during a fight. Majes it too easy to brute force battles and discourages real experimentation.
  • keeps shrines as theyā€™re a great idea, but change balance. no more ā€œtests of strengthā€, oneā€™s where you solve a puzzle to find the shrine are good

Iā€™d agree with these. He loves the game but has obvious criticisms.

Gives you an idea just how many koroks you waltzed past during your adventureā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d just say go when youā€™re ready.

If you have every possible upgrade, youā€™ll probably be a bit overpowered for the final battle, but it wonā€™t tarnish it.

Itā€™s more a case of do it when you feel ready to. There are some great shrines and locations I only found when I was 20 hours playtime past Hyrule Castle and Ganon, but it is one of the high points of the game so what follows may be a bit anticlimatic.

1 Like

Iā€™d agree with most of that too. Felt some of it even as I played it.

I get why there were loads of Test of Strength shrines, as you donā€™t know where the player will head, but enemy camps serve similar roles in terms of grinding upgrades and weapons.

There are quite a few things I think they can do to better balance the game, storyline and dungeons but theyā€™ll never be able to catch us by surprise like that again and disrupt ten years of open world gaming. It had a giddy sense of freshness, discovery and talkability to it I hadnā€™t experienced since school playground days.

1 Like

Sounds great, but also just sounds like BOTW 2. Theyā€™ve got their work cut out delivering anything else in practice

1 Like

The dungeons are the main thing for me. I get why the shrines all look the same ā€“ it would be an insane amount of work to design each individually ā€“ but the dungeons not so much. The beasts played well, but looked kinda boring and didnā€™t really represent their surroundings. Itā€™s the one thing that felt like a step back. Instead of having the dungeons integrated into their environment and stylised around it, they were generic and seperated from the rest of the world. I want to dive underwater and stumble upon the water temple in the next one :slight_smile:

3 Likes