Let's arbitrarily pair bands up and vote!

• Mashy Ned
  • Machine Fucking Head

0 voters

Nope!

• Deerhunter
  • Deerhoof
  • Deer Tick
  • The Dear Hunter
  • The Dears

0 voters

• Neds Atomic Dustbin
  • Pop Will Eat Itself
  • The Wonder Stuff

0 voters

Cats in Paris

But they’re superior in every way it’s possible for a band to be superior!

• Love
  • Can
  • Meatloaf
  • Rush
  • Marquee moon
  • Michael ball
  • The fall
  • Hall and oates
  • Random goth
  • Miles Davies
  • Patti Smith
  • Simply red
  • Sly stone
  • Husker du, du, du
  • Captain beefheart
  • Elo
  • Chris de Burgh
  • Sun ra
  • Del amitri
  • John Coltrane

0 voters

they’re a little bit boring but i’ve never really listened to Sunny Day Real Estate and i kinda want to see what happens if we break incandenza

Red house painters

Real Estate are the sound of a pristine showroom of unplayed instruments. i.e. shut up 9082.

• One Direction
  • Two Door Cinema Club
  • Dirty Three
  • 4 Non Blondes
  • 5ive
  • Electric Six
  • Shed Seven
  • Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • Ten-acious D

0 voters

I’ll probably just fester in the corner and swear under my breath, occasionally lunging at passing Music board patrons.

• Death Cab For Cutie
  • Death From Above 1979
  • Death Grips
  • Death In Vegas
  • Five Finger Death Punch
  • Napalm Death
  • Eagles Of Death Metal

0 voters

• Throbbing Gristle
  • Psychic TV
  • Coil
  • Chris & Cosey
  • X-TG

0 voters

No Real Estate is the soundtrack to a mirrorball nobody’s bought, Sunny Day Real Estate is your little brother’s band. Impossible to compare the two really because one’s like aesthetically nice and idk just a project for something it won’t reach and the other’s got all that charm and emotion wrapped up in it and is probably already better than it should be.

I think they’re great, but they’re scrappy and full of that escape-the-nest angst you’d get out of a band like that

I don’t really get that at all… for me, they’re like Talk Talk in the sense that the band became a vehicle for Jeremy Enigk’s very individualistic spirituality.

there’s a strange, knotted beauty to his voice and lyrics. Mark Hollis is a parallel, but within the style of emo, Enigk is singular.*

his sense of melody and phrasing informs their music. they’re a much odder band than your descriptions give credit.

*mustn’t forget yer man Daniel Higgs, here, who navigates his own spiritual path with maverick zeal.

also, I think Enigk has an obvious precursor in Michael Stipe, but still takes that approach to vocals to places all of his own.

Show me a multiple song run by RA that’s even 25% as emotionally resonant, dynamic or creativeas as the run of Waffle through Spade and Parade off lp2.