Let's review every Depeche Mode album in turn - Analysis on post 166

I would say the essential albums to start with are:

Black Celebration
Music For The Masses
Violator
Songs of Faith & Devotion

These are from their commercial peak period of 1986-1993. ‘Ultra’ is pretty good too, although not as good as the two albums preceding it.

1 Like

It is a good album, however, the CD was a casualty of the ‘loudness wars’. It was mastered at a very high volume which spoiled my enjoyment of it at the time.

Surely Enjoy The Silence is nameable for most people?

1 Like

Personal Jesus, shirley!

I do know this. Also realised versions I knew were covers but not who did original.

Surely the best Artwork for a DM album.

The Brits do an award called ‘outstanding contribution to music award’
I’m not a fan of the brits. Look of the state of some of the past winners. Some good. Some awful. Where’s DM?

Gave it a 3 for See You alone

Not seen the others but these Deluxe covers being all grey really looks dull. You’re right though, it’s a good cover

1 Like

I’d imagine record companies wouldn’t have seen much money to be gained by highlighting Depeche Mode for whatever reason. I mean I presume these names are carefully selected based on stuff being punted up from labels. There are, of course, loads of bands not in that list.

1 Like

I’ve given it a 3. I like the first half a lot. But Satellite’s cod-reggae sort of beat makes me think more of a C64 game soundtrack than anything and then it goes a bit ‘funny ha-ha’. I’ve realised The Meaning of Love makes me think most of one of those songs that plays at the end of the Portal games, which has endeared me to it.

2 Likes

Not a fan…but look at Iron Maiden’s contribution to music and they have not been recognised.

2 Likes

Yeah, well I think getting concerned over the Brit Awards is only going to end up giving you indigestion. Look at Annie Lennox’s history with them - this isn’t about how good she is, just about how narrowly they cast their net I think

It’s a five for every album they’ve ever released

This box set seems like a right rip-off:

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/depeche-mode-mode-18cd-box-set/

Yeah - they’ve already reissued all the albums before on cd. And are currently reissuing all the 12" singles - which are really nice, but very expensive!

Must be a very expensive business being a DM completest - so many different versions of every single release. Mute seem to really milk that.

Finally getting into this, starting with Speak and Spell - first impression is that it’s basically if Kraftwerk were from Essex (a good thing)

3 Likes

John Lennon before The Beatles :thinking:

How come they’re all British (I get that) until P!nk? P!nk is shit… seems like a nasty piece of work too.

also, I don’t rate DM at all and feel like their trailblazers The Cure should get a nod well before they’ve dried the well of contenders. But then that just brings me back to P!nk.

1 Like