Let's talk about bands that have had a huge drop in popularity/critical praise

The Killers since Hot Fuss

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ho-is-Razorlit-Mug/dp/B00CUICXK0

blimey forgot about that

Can’t believe it exists in mug form.

Fair enough. Guess it’s not entirely surprising that a wanker on Drowned in Sound is not entirely in touch with the mainstream. Probably should have done a fact-check first…

Think The Strokes is a perfectly fair call. Would also add Franz and Interpol.

Interpol are selling out big venues for high prices for their newest tour. Don’t think they lost popularity, just they haven;t done much as of late

Nah Kozelek’s basically the only person on the planet still making exciting music.

Yeah, good shout. I think they were an interesting group, but do we really need more than one album? To me, they’re a bit like Lightning Bolt - fun to listen to a few times, very unique live experience, but when the f**k do you think “ah, i’ll just pop a Death Grips album on for the train journey to work”.

Got a lot of time for you, Bamnan, but that’s a very liberal interpretation of the word “exciting”

2 Likes

Also, whilst I’m glad that he’s making something that you enjoy, I think he still pretty much fits the thread description: the whole weird haranguing/bullying the War on Drugs things really backfired in terms of critical/public opinion of him (I use public here very lightly, I appreciate Sun Kil Moon wasn’t a huge commercial prospect even at the peak of Benji’s hype).

That, compared with numerous albums that most are finding increasingly turgid and dull (though respect your opinion if you disagree) certainly seems to have resulted in a greatly diminished standing among critics and all but the most die-hard fans

It seems like most people and critics have abandoned Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, even though Some Loud Thunder and Only Run were good.

And this could just be in my head, but it seems like critics kind of forgot about Wavves and Iceage. Come to think of it I don’t think there was even a thread for the new Wavves album this year.

Also while still popular, I can’t think of the last time Silversun Pickups got critical praise. I could be wrong but I thought initially they were at least somewhat respected, but now it feels like everyone generally turns their noses up at the mention of them. Pikul and Carnavas are both incredible to this day.

Don’t think Koz really fits at all, he’s been up and down more times than one of the old boxers he’s always singing about.

1 Like

don’t think he’s ever made a bad or uninteresting record. Common As Light is easily my album of the year, probably listened to it 50 times already.

I’d say that was more an example of the classic “great debut, downhill after that” trope. I never got over the foie gras lines to open up Weekend in the City …

the strokes just played to 90,000 people in south america. pretty sure they’re doing ok.

2 Likes

Anyone who attended EOTR last year or that infamous Green Man headline slot will strongly disagree with that second point (and I strongly disagree with the first).

Nah, Tyler is getting solid reviews for his latest album, Frank Ocean is still great. Therefore, you’re incorrect.

1 Like

Don’t think Koz really meets the thread criteria…he managed to hit a critical peak with Benji…but generally he’s had fluctuating support since RHP. Don’t really think you can call his current form a “dip”…because people who like him lap it up as much as any of his previous work

Compared to the initial hype, there has been a huge drop.