Let's talk about bands that have had a huge drop in popularity/critical praise

but the OP asked for drop in both, just going by the criteria.

lol Counting Crows were going along just fine until that taxi song came in and made everyone hate them.

I think Counting Crows were initially, and rightfully so. August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites are legitimate 10/10 albums, and if I’m remembering correctly critics were high on them (especially A&EA). This Desert Life was good, and the only negative thing that I can possibly think of to say about Hard Candy is that it isn’t A&EA or RtS. Fantastic album with some of their best material (“Up All Night” especially). They fell off after that outside of a few songs, and started sounding more like people’s incorrect impression of them.

yeah this altho the album from 2014 is good. got 74 on metacritic, the ultimate barometer

Going to see them live next week, unfortunately that means i have to sit through some matchbox 20, arguably my least fav band of all time.

I don’t know, I was around when those albums were released and while they were popular I don’t remember them being especially acclaimed; RTS I definitely remember getting 6/10 reviews. Not sure I’ve heard anything from any of their followups. Live is in a similar boat.

I think the same could be said for most Can albums apart from Tago Mayo, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days

deciding what was acclaimed and what wasnt is probably a losing battle in this case. acclaim to me at that age was ‘is it on mtv and do my friends like it’. the backlash cycle hit counting crows really hard.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is definitely an acclaimed album, whatever your personal view of it is.

2 Likes

that stream was mad.

they are one of the few bands that I like that have reformed and produced music that actively tarnishes their legacy…albeit not by a huge amount in the long run I suspect

don’t forget Vince Staples too

no way have Live ever been acclaimed surely?

Has anyone said Arctic Monkeys?

Because Arctic Monkeys.

1 Like

Everything’s good until '74. Check out ‘Delay 1968’ and ‘The Lost Tapes’ too!

And Californication/By the Way

Well yeah. I think BSSM is seen as a classic though, whereas they just sold and reviewed well.

For the record my favourite’s One Hot Minute. Love that album. Critically panned though.

2 Likes

Will do, thanks m9!

1 Like

Nah it is, sadly (as is Pinkerton)

THIS POINT HAS BEEN MADE ALREADY! DISREGARD!

They’ve both continued to be rated well and popular no?