let's talk about the stonks market(s) and possible depression ๐Ÿ’ธ๐Ÿ’ฒ๐Ÿ“‰๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Thread is now re-opened and in slow mode. Will split the thread in two in a bit. Sorry about the delay, have been busy.

Please be advised that any more off-topic posts about personal grievances will be deleted.

If you see any more posts that should be deleted that I have missed, please flag them and I will have a look.

2 Likes

I get that the thread evolved from stock market stuff, into GME, and then crypto.

Thatโ€™s kinda run its course now, but this thread had ended up swamped by cryptocurrency chat/commentary, which is a long way from where the thread began.

My premium bonds stuff was a wry jibe at that, fwiw. Hilarious, I know.

Probably worth noting that a crypto thread already exists:

And this thread can resume itโ€™s original purpose as intended.

No need for splitting or moving posts.

No need for any new threads.

Possibly worth a thread title tweak to the other one to aid signposting might be in order (remove the date, and add a general reference to cryptocurrency). Iโ€™ve done the housekeeping if moving it from Social into News & Politics, in keeping with the new site structure, but changing thread titles is usually done after checking with the thread starter, as I understand it.

On that note, as far as I can tell, @sheeldz changed the title of this from stocks to stonks earlier this year. Was that @ghosthalo suggested/approved? ๐Ÿคท Feels a bit meme-y/GME-centric and a bit out of keeping with the way this thread started and how it would continue if the crypto stuff went forward on the other thread. So my last suggestion would be to revert the title of this thread from stonks to stocks.

1 Like

I really feel not having in jokes/memes in thread titles would be a simple/helpful way to make threads more accessible and inviting.

Many posters, including those who are
neurodivergent, have highlighted how difficult it can be to understand some of the memes and jokes on here. Itโ€™ll also ensure that threads stay a bit more on topic.

Not a dig at @sheeldz, heโ€™s a goodun and not the only person who does this

2 Likes

i changed it during the โ€œstonksโ€ nonsense that accounted for hundreds of posts inside hours. i honestly did it with the logic of the joke at the time.

i have no skin in the game, and the memy nature of the thread at the time supported it. plus, the boardโ€™s been reappraised since then, and i am happy to change it back. or what ever.

apologies everyone.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yeah all thatโ€™s all as expected. No real harm done by it. Was just looking to avoid making any wrong assumptions.

As you say, the boards have adjusted during/since, we just need to do a small amount of unpicking for things to take account of that and be able to proceed without any ongoing hassles, I reckon.

2 Likes

Iโ€™ll say that I think this is just a matter of personal perspective, Iโ€™ve seen arguments/misunderstandings arise from both approaches:

• Make a general comment in a thread, then some people feel like theyโ€™re being talked about behind their back
  • Make a direct comment to someone, they could feel like theyโ€™re being attacked or singled out when the topic is usually bigger than that one poster

Not to take away from your post, just that I think this will always be an issue since people interpret intentions so differently. All we can really do is give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that most users here wonโ€™t be deliberately trying to rile you with their posting/commenting method

(said as someone who has been called out for taking the โ€œmake a general commentโ€ approach before, and having to take a while to realise that neither of us were especially in the wrong and that it was just a matter of different approaches)

1 Like

Would it be a good idea to get a fresh start with a new โ€˜economicsโ€™ thread?

2 Likes

I mean, youโ€™ve cut out the part that was the main point of my post :slight_smile: - but yeah I get what you meant and it is a valid point. My main criticism was the weird macho bullshit of being called out for not having the courage (lol) to directly reply to someone else

have done it

this can be closed if a mod is in here but maybe it will just fizzle out without the need for a โ€˜properโ€™ closure

1 Like

I donโ€™t know if this thread is being left to die or what but GME is doing the thing again and is up 18% today

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what happens today with this GameStop NFT news. Could be a huge deal if itโ€™s done properly.

sighs

What the fuck is this?

Theyโ€™re apparently launching an Ethereum-based platform for NFTs in gaming. Potentially opening up a huge market for used digital games, I guess.

I donโ€™t understand how NFTs and used digital games are connected.

1 Like

Neither do I, really? Iโ€™m not coming in here as an advocate or anything. Not convinced by it at all. But if it IS that, then thatโ€™sโ€ฆ something.

is it something around unique in game things like cool virtual shoes for you and your buddies?

Our species doesnโ€™t deserve conscious thought.

1 Like