LGBTQ+ bands/artists

I thought there’d been a thread on this already… evidently not.

I just watched this video of Trixie Mattel and Lavender Country and it got me so teary. if you don’t know Lavender Country already you must listen to the self-titled album which is often referred to as the first gay country album. Totally essential listening (thank you @jordan_229 for turning me on to his music).

8 Likes

My mate avezz. Mia meets Sleaford Mods

1 Like

hardcore

Against Me! I love this album more and more

HIRS Collective - grindcore

Skinny Diet Girls - Punk

7 Likes

All great picks :smiley: I really love that HIRS record.

1 Like

My two favourite indie gay-girls:

4 Likes

Recently discovered G.L.O.S.S who have split up but I think the singer has a country tinged nww project, but love G.L.O.S.S

Also Vile Creature are a new find for me, loving their stuff

4 Likes

yeah i only heard of them through that split record with Thou where they did the Nirvana covers (and their side totally owns the Thou side!) but i’ve enjoyed exploring beyond since!

Gloss were so good

True Trans Soul Rebel is such an incredible song, need to get into that whole album

2 Likes

I’m a bit gutted they completely passed me by, hadn’t heard of them until about a week or 2 ago

My enby hero :heart:

4 Likes

Yeah, that song totally drew me in but i felt the same about the album. Pretty much song by song its clicked though and now i love it all.

1 Like

They weren’t around long, which was a shame, think getting picked up by Pitchfork and a lot of more mainstream media made them call it quits because they always intended to be more outsider. Trans day of revenge is really great though.

1 Like

This is gorgeous. Oh god I love this <3

The first enby artist I was aware of was probably Rae Spoon. I heard My Prairie Home and was swept away. Just gorgeous

2 Likes

This sounds excellent too, look forward to giving it a full listen later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love that album so much. Saw them do it in full at a festival last year :heart:

Do Placebo count? A band with two queer members singing about gender-fluidity and bi-sexuality on TOTPs and getting to the top 5 in the 90s…

2 Likes

Absolutely. I got into them around the same time I was getting into metal which was a total masc-magnet, seeing a band like Placebo on Kerrang TV with songs like Nancy Boy was really affirming for me.

7 Likes

Brighton reppin’! This is one of my albums of 2020, absolutely glorious and so pleased it finally saw the light of day (think it was recorded about 5 years ago).

1 Like

Julien Baker first name I thought of.

One of the things that’s been genuinely brilliant in raising a couple of queer offspring is how many prominent musicians, like Julien, there are who are out and singing things they identify with. I think almost all the music I heard growing up (even sung by people I later learned were gay!) was massively heteronormative and it’s great for my kids that there are voices they love using pronouns they relate to when telling love stories etc.

15 Likes