Liam Neeson (Not dead, but...career?...hmm)

The question wasn’t for a list of his other crimes

9 Likes

ballymena (no, lol)

1 Like

People in NI are horrifically racist. Not surprised that older man from Ballymena is a racist

1 Like

Saying that people in NI are horrifically racist isn’t a great viewpoint to put across either tbf.

3 Likes

“I know I do” prompted a horrified lol tbh, wtf is he thinking

The Lego Movie (good cop / bad cop)

2 Likes

he’ll make some kind of hamfisted apology, then apologise for how shit the apology was, then he’ll disappear for a few years and return in a critically acclaimed arthouse film about a washed up character actor trying to get his career back on track.

He won’t even lose a role due to this

1 Like

turns out he thought the me too thing was a witch hunt as well. we are stuck in a cycle of white stupidity.

1 Like

Why not? NI has had long standing issues with racism and has failed through the years to address the issue. Of course I’m not trying to deny his personal culpability in his attitudes, but it’s worth looking at how NI operates with regard to these issues (but probably not in this thread)

Obviously what he did was horrific, but: what the hell was he thinking by telling this story? Has he done so many rounds of film promotion that he’s run out of stories to tell? Weird.

Weirdly reminds me a bit of his improvisational comedy in Life’s Too Short

4 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

It wasn’t even an in-depth interview where his guard might have been down, it seems to just have been one of those ten minute conveyor belt ones where you’re expected to reel off a couple of bland platitudes, instead of launching into ‘allow me to take this opportunity to describe a racist murder i didn’t commit’.

2 Likes

Actually yeah, this was one of those wtf thoughts that wasn’t really worth posting

@moderators feel free to cut it

Just seen that Sleeping Giants have put it more succinctly. Spare a thought for his publicist, indeed

1 Like

The same could be said of many places, but you can’t make a blanket statement like “people in NI are horrifically racist” is pretty extreme. And it’s not like he’s a brainwashed ordinary man living in ballymena with no exposure to a life outside his narrow sphere of reference, which might explain his thinking.

I can only guess that he was trying to “own” his awful reaction while acknowledging the tricks that trauma (albeit by proxy in his case) can play on the mind. The two issues to me are:

1. He seems to have owned his violently-intentioned reaction without explaining why it was a black man he felt like going after (I have only skimmed the article- was the rapist a black man and even if so, is that an acceptable thought process? If the attacker had been a short ginger man, would he have gone out looking for one of them?) and
  2. It’s all a bit feral caveman behaviour, avenging the wrongs exacted on the poor defenceless woman.

I think maybe his movie roles have gone right to his head. I suspect the things he said in the interview came from a well intentioned place but the light it casts on his thought processes is pretty hairy.

5 Likes

I dont think it’s necessarily extreme to say that a state founded on two exclusionary nationalisms (Irish & Ulster nationalism) would become a place where racism is endemic and not properly tackled by legislation or any unifying policy.

I agree he’s not a regular Ballymena man. His reaction in this instance is strange to say the least (and I’m not sure what to say, I should have kept my mouth shut to start with)

I think you could have said “many people in NI are…”, but I am being pedantic. I know what you mean and sorry for picking at your words.

It’s ok :slightly_smiling_face:. I should really be more careful not to make dumb statements like the one above, or to write two sentence posts without context

1 Like