Licorice Pizza

The guy’s brilliant, glad rich producers are happy to fund his films even though they almost never do well. Can’t wait for this new one.

4 Likes

Boogie Nights > There Will Be Blood > Inherent Vice > Phantom Thread > Hard Eight > The Master

don’t remember that much about the Inherent Vice plot but loved the vibe, got really lost in the world and having read more Pynchon since it feels like it captured a real essence of his writing. Also enjoy any riffs on the noir format, and this approach with the detective being as confused as the audience was very amusing imho

need to finish Magnolia (watch more than the first 30 mins) and try to get through what I imagine will be the mega-cringe of Punch Drunk Love. Tried once and I think within 2 mins it was obvious it wasn’t the right mood for me at the time

trailer for new one looks very good and right up my street, quite excited despite thinking he’s a bit overrated

also not to be all “lol silly American spellings” but I am quite annoyed it’s not spelled Liquorice here. Looks wrong every time I see it

I hope someone says “I eat your licorice pizza”

2 Likes

I lick your ice pizza*

3 Likes

There Will Be Blood = Punch Drunk Love > Phantom Thread > The Master > Magnolia > Boogie Nights = Hard Eight > Inherent Vice

haha that’s quite different from my list Ant!

We have different stances on the rankings of PTA films!

(Even Inherent Vice is still a 7/10 film though and that’s his worst IMO)

There Will Be Blood > The Royal Tenenbaums > Resident Evil

8 Likes

The Master annoyed me for reasons I forget now, so can’t rate it well on that front. But everything beyond that has lots to recommend it, even when it didn’t fully click with me (Phantom Thread)

plus yeah still very glad he exists and gets to make what he wants. That’s just an inherently good thing, regardless of how much I like the results (a la Bjork)

It clicked for me after hearing PTA enthusiastically agree with the sentiment that “I’d have liked it more if they’d have just fucked” on his WTF episode

no

annoying name

1 Like

will try to revisit some of his soon i think. I was ascribing him motivations/views that I think were unfair on first viewing, which coloured how i interpreted the films themselves. Basically thought he was trying to be more clever-clever than i think was the intent, and that he seems pretty genuine in reality

enjoying the interview you posted a lot x

This is absolutely a key thing for me. Knowing how down-to-earth and unpretentious he is gives his films a completely different reading for me.

His WTF episode is so good for unlocking that, would highly recommend checking it out.

1 Like

never really been one for delving into the acting/directing stories behind films, despite how many i watch and love. Might try to do more of it - obvious can take away the magic sometimes, but a lot of the time I think it would just add cool details and depth

Event Horizon > There Will Be Blood > the rest

I would describe the work of Paul Thomas Anderson as ‘hugely overrated’

1 Like

When?

1 Like

When I finished watching There Will Be Blood

Oh right, I guess there is a tense issue with that post but I get what you mean now