Lies we tell children: How believable are they?

They’re all ludicrous. Can’t wait for my daughter to figure it out FFS. Hate em.

Work hard and stay in school and the meritocracy will ensure you have a good life hahaha

6 Likes

DiSers with kids I hope your find more realistic ways to motivate your young uns than this.

1 Like

The awkward phase is that my daughter (6) figured it out and has a brother (5) and sister (2) who have not. Going to need to work out an effective scheme of bribery and shed-banishment this year.

yeah you’re definitely doing Santa wrong

all my Christmas presents from my parents were allegedly from Santa

Your National Record of Achievement is very important actually and you won’t get into university without it

0 voters

4 Likes

Aww this thread makes me a bit sad as our eldest is 11 and we had a really good run but she doesn’t believe in anything anymore! We got one last Christmas out of Santa where I think she believed against her better judgement. Younger one is 7 and just about to lose her first tooth so is totally into the tooth fairy. They are not the best of friends so I think the truth will be too good a weapon for the eldest to wield, and younger one won’t last until 11 like she did before knowing the real story.

Also, they only get presents from Santa, not from us, and they are never wrapped because it makes my life much easier.

My mum told me that people don’t get horny anymore after 30 and I didn’t question that for so, so many years

1 Like

Fucking hell

Oh the joy of her working it out age 6. Our daughter is NINE. Fucking hell.

No horniness after 30

• 10 (Irrefutable solid narrative)
  • 1 (the slightest thought about any of it and it all falls apart)

0 voters

Logan’s Run

• 10 (Irrefutable solid narrative)
  • 1 (the slightest thought about any of it and it all falls apart)
  • No-one ever told me it was real
  • I haven’t seen Logan’s Run, nor has anyone told me about it

0 voters

Oh well. Sorry, kids.

I just really hate the good/bad behavioural link. And I resent some made up old guy (aka capitalism) getting maximum credit for the presents. That’s all your parents doing, kiddos.

For what it’s worth, we leave a plate out with a carrot, mince pie, and drink and it’s impossibly cute.

Do the kids think Santa just comes to eat your food and then fucks off? :smiley:

1 Like

Fuck knows! :grinning: I suppose we’re positioning him at having a purely logistical role. A real jumped up magical delivery service.

2 Likes

Oh! I was thinking our eldest might go for one more Xmas of belief, aged 6, after four months of primary school (maaaybe another after that), then get on board the cynicism train.

Lord no, her whole class has kept up the pretence all the way to year 6. Admittedly it’s a Catholic school so pretty big on imaginary people, which might have helped. She’s also a not-very-savvy 11 year old!

1 Like

We’ve trotted out the “Santa is watching” line in desperation at times, but it definitely loses its effectiveness if played too early. I’ve told them elf on the shelf isn’t real (sorry other parents, but I have enough to do without messing up my own house on purpose for me to then tidy up again, every day, for weeks. Nope.). Mr B insisted on taking the line that we send Santa money to arrange the presents (haven’t really got into the logistics of this one) so they don’t go mad with their lists and we still get a bit of the credit.

Last Christmas Day they both cried because they said they didn’t get anything off their lists. I had to bite my tongue so hard to not say yes you fecking did, I bought it all :roll_eyes:

Why weren’t you able to at least correct them to say that they got things off their lists?