Life of Pablo

p.s I hope he gets better

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I think it’s great. A mess, with some misses, but ultimately it’s interesting and has some real highs.

Love him or hate him I still anticipate his music more than many others.

when rappers guest on his songs sometimes it’s the best stuff they’ve ever done. Rick Ross at the end of devil in a new dress always impresses me - just that fact that he lets the music play out right to the very end and rick ross does the weird cosmopolis existential verse about being alone in a limo <3

2 Likes

Utterly love ‘30 Hours’ and then that happens. Andre 3000 with the smoothest backing vocals of his fucking life beforehand. Thrills me every time.

1 Like

Yeah man, that long, repetitive jam is so so SO so good and then he fucks it like that. So frustrating

yeah I didn’t realise he was still in hospital. Get well soon!

yeah loads of great bits but doesn’t sit that well as an album. still prefer it to yeezus

Anybody listened to The Life Of Paul? Definitely think it could be a good album with some heavy editing, but haven’t bothered yet. Ultralight Beam is amazing though, it’s got the best tracks of any shit album ever.

the fella from car seat headrest browses DiS
unsurprising because he memed himself to fame

Real Friends is a top 10 Kanye track.

2 Likes

I think Feedback is ace.

After lots of fiddling I have a version of the album I rather like.

1/ Wolves
2/ Waves
3/ Saint Pablo
4/ Pt. 2
5/ Famous
6/ Real Friends
7/ Fade
8/ FML
9/ Only One
10/ Ultra Light Beam

There are beats I love missing where Ye’s lyrics have brought the thing down - but I feel like this saves the meaningful bits of the album whilst being a fun front to back listen.

Nice to be able to cut out the shit part of Father Stretch My Hands. Also - Wolves was originally the opener and Ultra Light Beam originally the closer. Makes much more sense to me. I was going to have Real Friends 1st to preserve the link between it and Wolves, but it made Wolves sound much weaker. That bass note is the perfect thing to open the album with.

Stuck Only One there towards the end as I needed something contemplative and sweet between FML and Ultra. Glad of Saint Pablo because even though his flow’s all over the place - a big problem of mine is the lack of bars, especially at the front end. IMO even out there rap albums need that mission statement somewhere in the first half.

Wish I could use 30 Hours but Ye ruins it at the end with bonus talk and a phone call. Heart breaking.

you save pt2 but not pt1? Yeezus wept

2 Likes

I just find the bleached asshole stuff too dumb. Again, a lyrical misstep that takes me out of the album every time…

2 Likes

but the lyrics on pt2 are far worse! Pt1 is fantastic mostly because of that young metro part. Fookin gr8.

been listening to this more after this thread.
got loads of great moments that no other artist is capable of. FML is so good

1 Like

Tru but a lot of that’s down to Ty Dollar Sign…

of course :slight_smile:

maybe they should do an alb together

Seen this mentioned on here a few times. Can someone explain to me what the story is behind Toledo / Carseat Headrest and this whole meme fame thing?

Think I pretty much agree with most of the OP, it’s a really good album and I’ve dipped back into it throughout the year, but the bleached asshole, the taylor swift line and ‘Facts’ are just so jarring, cringey bad! Like, for me, they ruin what could have been a great album. (whatever, it’s his vision n’all that)

I haven’t listened to any other versions since the one he released on day 1, haven’t heard the edited, updated versions of any of the songs.

Real Friends, Ultralight Beam, No More Parties are all up there with some of his best for me.