Life Without Buildings

Can’t see there’s a dedictated thread for them. Article about them in the Guardian today… apparently they’re popular on TikTok?

Was trying to find a song Sue Tompkins guested on, and found a couple of more recent things she’s been involved with, if anyone’s interested:

The thing I was looking for was this El Hombre Trajeado song she’s on:

2 Likes

or the intro to The Leanover at least.

Great band though.

4 Likes

Watched a bit of the YouTube video compiling some of them… there are a LOT! Bit disorientating watching one after the other.

1 Like

sounds like she’s saying Fallujah

1 Like

Great great band. Once saw them on the same bill as King Adora, for the full early 00s experience.

6 Likes

:heart:

LP is being reissued

https://www.monorailmusic.com/album/7875a745-7c11-11eb-9798-06d730498058/Any_Other_City.html

2 Likes

Nice! Not read it properly yet, but new interview here too: The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | It’s Like The New Past – Life Without Buildings Interviewed.

Grabbed it today

Seems weird to me that it says ℗ & © 2021. I’d have thought somewhere it should have 2001 as surely you can’t just renew a copyright?

It’s a repress outside of their initial contract, so the p&c will reflect that.

Oh right.

Music copyright is clearly a confusing thing for me! This feels like it’s changing the 70 years + the life of the author thing but I guess it’s just meaning this particular package of it can’t be used or something.

The publishing will remain the same, but the mechanical reissue will have the new date.

I guess I feel like the publishing should be on there somewhere just because I am actually that guy who likes to know stuff like that I suppose :smiley:

Rough Trade / Tugboat are the label, not the publisher, so it’s not in their remit. Dunno who publishes LWB - it’s probably reverted back to Copyright Control seeing as it’s 20 years since initial release.

4 Likes

Not sure how I missed out on these first time around. Was going to a ton of gigs in the early ‘00’s
and slavishly reading the music press, must have been in my blind spot. What sort of acclaim did they have / venue size were they doing?

Anyway, first heard them in the recent music league, really enjoying the album.

A bunch more songs from live performances are now online

1 Like

Just discovered a band called Ganger who I’m sure you dweebs will all know. Wonder if they influenced Life Without Buildings?

Think they were in the same circles? They became Aereogramme if I remember correctly