Lifts and escalators

tbf I hadn’t done one of my assignments so it would have been a handy excuse

Last Friday

Lift - St Davids Car Park, Cardiff
Escalator - Debenhams, Cardiff

that fookin escalator’s been closed for about 5 months. probably found all sorts of body parts underneath it during refurb

With middle aged cashiers who went to the Stalin School of Customer Service and show their clear disdain for all other humans at every chance?

In Hungary, they combine that with ridiculous naming of the bags. So if you ask for a small bag, they look at you like you’re the biggest fucking idiot they’ve ever seen, and say “oh did you mean the Minipocket”? That isn’t a “large bag”, that’s a “Holdall”. And every supermarket chain has different names for each size, and they don’t label them.

You should probably have learnt a little hungarian to be fair

Volt Magyarül.

OK so one way is to use it to go from one floor to another. Not sure I want to know what the other “use” of an escalator is…

Do they have Pennymarkt and Norma in CZ? Those are the most depressing supermarkets in the world. I think it would be an effective curse to make someone have to get all future food from them.

Worst escalator people: people who knowing that you can walk up and down tube escalators, extrapolate that to trying to walk up and down the left side of shop escalators, barging people out of the way in the process. Nobody needs to be in that much of a hurry to buy some pants.

If you ever need to make yourself feel really bad about life and the world, go in a branch.

Getting all your clothes from those stalls would be a great way to hate your life I feel. At least you’d have lots of cheap rhinestones to admire.

Something about the value of the sterling functioning as the counterweight on that day.

Lovely little story this, and I admire your sensible approach.

Wednesday. Escalator on the tube, lift in this university building behind Stratford picture house. Pretty fucking swish, would ride again.

Anyone else get slightly anxious around escalators? I’m not scared of heights I just find myself concentrating really hard approaching or leaving them.

also came to talk about paternosters - think they’re great.

went on one in fredriksberg town hall which was excellent fun - it’s like being in a platform game.

An old guy got crushed in another copenhagen one last year though, so can see why they’re basically not around anymore.

Absolutely, but then I am scared of heights. My two least favourite escalators are the ones in Peter Jones in Sloane Square and Debenhams on Oxford Street, and that was before both of them had somebody fall off them a few years back.

Last used a lift in Gatwick Airport carpark on Friday the fifth of November.

Last used an escalator in London Victoria on Sunday the seventh of November.

Don’t mind using either but I much prefer using the stairs.

Fall off as in off the side? Just downwards sounds quite fun.

2 Likes

I have seen sights.