Liminal Spaces [Not Limmy Spaces]

In architecture, liminal spaces are defined as "the physical spaces between one destination and the next ." Common examples of such spaces include hallways, airports, and streets. But it’s a bit more than that, it’s that atmosphere of something being missing or empty, or about the change.

The best ones are almost always a clash of symbols of capitalist progress degrading or clashing with nature.

You guys dig this stuff? I dig this stuff.

9 Likes

Go Liminal Spaces!

1 Like

I’m a huge fan. Not in a morbid way, but it’s really intriguing, sort of jarring and melancholy, to see places that are designed to have humans in without them. Dead malls are good for it.

In fact, I have a reddit account that exists solely to occasionally push notifications from r/deadmalls and r/liminalspace

1 Like

I followed the liminal spaces subreddit for a bit until I realised it was just folks posting photos of literally anything. ‘Is the inside of my tin cupboard liminal?’ No Kevin, your beans are not liminal. Step away from the bong.

3 Likes

Yeah sometimes it does drop into that, deadmalls is better (not always good, but better).

That second last one really reminds me of the bit in Shenmue 2 where you have to explore all these nearly identical apartment buildings in Kowloon walled city

Go Sports Team!

3 Likes

Yeah you know what you’re getting with deadmalls. I just get irrationally angry with liminal spaces. I think, “what about the default Windows XP desktop picture? Is that liminal?” broke me. It’s like hauntology - there’s an idea there but lots of folks just get it confused with general nostalgia.

1 Like

If you find yourself stuck in an airport when it’s quiet, it’s all liminal spaces.

EDIT: probably should be “when you…”

Always been a fan of Liminal Athletic, so “LIMINAL SPACES SUCK!” is all I have to contribute.

1 Like

Wrote an essay about these at university, and how they intersected with the uncanny.

How do they intersect with the uncanny?

It’s complex, and involves lots of photographs to pad out the page count.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/SpaceLiminalBot?s=20

^ good account for this sort of stuff

3 Likes

The new Paul Schrader film is very good for this sort of thing

2nd one looks like the park in t2 just before the nuclear blast

Who do they have on the weekend?

1 Like

“Thomas Muller operates in the liminal space between defence and midfield”

The beach - nature’s liminal space.

My place writing MA was basically an MA in liminal spaces.

Right up my liminal space

1 Like