List 3 Albums from 2017 that you only found out about due to the end of year polls that you Love

DJ Sports - Modern Sports
Homage to 90’s dance by Denmark’s Milán Zacks

Pessimist - Pessimist
Dark, minimalistic Drum & Bass from Bristol

Brainwaltzera - Poly-ana
Aphex Twin in Disguise?

1 Like

Good question!

So far (with the proviso that I am absolute rubbish at assigning genres to music):

Nai Palm - Needle Paw (minimal template of acoustic guitar and layered vocals from the Australian songwriter and member of Hiatus Kaiyote).
Omni - Multi-Task (jittery Postcard pop, angular post-punk a la Gang of Four from the Georgia trio). Not sure how I missed this one before.
Sevdaliza - Ison (artful left-field pop from the Iran-born, Netherlands-based singer songwriter).

1 Like

Madonnatron - Madonnatron
SZA - Ctrl
Ex Eye - Ex Eye

Noam Pikelny - Universal Favorite - lovely low key one man and his banjo
Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love - this was because @WizardLizard recommended it, extremely fun poppy garage rock made for yelling along to
Richard Dawson - Peasant - knew this existed and loved Nothing Important but didn’t fancy it much when it came out. Seeing it rightfully high on loads of lists sent me back to it and I think winter is better for weirdo folk rock so enjoying it very much now

1 Like

I’d heard of these before, but I only got round to buying them after the end of year polls (in order of brilliance):

1. Big Thief - Capacity
  2. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
  3. Jlin - Black Origami.

Absolutely love all three of those.

3 Likes

Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
Bicep - Bicep
Kelela - Take Me Apart

1 Like

Priests - Nothing Feels Natural
Midwife - Like Author, Like Daughter
Mary Lattimore - Collected Pieces

Three! have five :grin:

Bing & Ruth - No Home of the Mind
Trio Da Kali - Ladilikan
King Krule - The OOZ
Eyre Llew - Atelo
Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology

Bandcamp list has just brought this to my attention. Can’t fault it

Another shout for Midwife from me - lovely stuff. Also, Protomartyr and Pheobe Bridgers. Gotta love the end of year lists

1 Like

Turns out this Sylvan Esso album is wall to wall bangers.

fully on-board

3 Likes

Going to have to add another

Utterly brilliant! Along with EMA this would’ve been challenging my top 5 if I’d waited until now to post in the AOTY thread

I probably only bothered to listen to the new Wolf Alice album on account of it topping the DiS list. Am considering including it in my top 5 as a consequence.

Another one is Madonnatron’s debut, which I found out about courtesy of @mouth_breather rather than an AOTY list, but on researching that recommendation a bit I did discover that it was included in a couple. (also considering this for my top 5)

I’d listened to Party by Aldous Harding when it came out but it didn’t stick. Have really gotten into it over the past couple of weeks & now is a serious contender for my AOTY.

Also Midwife, Phoebe Bridgers & Julien Baker who I hadn’t previously listened to, all 3 being excellent.

1 Like

The Jay Som album is pretty great isn’t it?

2 Likes
  1. Hand Habits: Wildly Idle (Humble Before the Void)
    Hand Habits toured with another band of whom I’m a big fan. So, I’d heard Wildly Idle, but evidently didn’t pay it enough attention until I noticed it on numerous lists. It’s now one of my top albums, maybe even my favorite among those, and it has at least two of my favorite new songs. It’s also an example of a beautiful budget recording, and by budget I mean nearly apple shavings.

2. Big Thief: Capacity
    I didn’t want to give it chance because I wasn’t crazy about their last record. Capacity doesn’t crack my top five new albums, but it’s a good record. Maybe it even has one song that I’d count among the year’s best.

3. Danish String Quartet: Last Leaf
    There last record was great, and Last Leaf is almost as good as that. However, I wasn’t aware of it until I noticed it on a list, because I didn’t follow classical closely this year.

1. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid (proper magic)
  2. SZA - CTRL (clearly i was very late to the party here)
  3. Ragana - You Take Nothing (profoundly moving black metal)

Big Thief is the main one to the point I’m considering changing my vote

4 Likes

Another shout for Big Thief, also SZA and Kelly Lee Owens.
I keep hearing that War on Drugs album is amazing, but the songs I’ve heard sound just the same as the last album (see also: The National).

Ah awesome! Glad this was a winner in your books too. I’m eagerly awaiting UK tour dates having missed them this year…