Listageddon 2022

Like the ones I’ve heard so will give a couple of the top placing albums a go.

Loads of nice album covers on that list

2 Likes

Haven’t heard the number 1 album, somethign for later.

This is a nice thread because it’s getting me on to lots of cool music websites that I never usually look at

1 Like

The Wire

with bonus thread

The Wire's Releases of the Year 2022

1 Like

Not so much in keeping with the other lists here, but my favourite of the last couple of years is Matthew Schnipper’s Deep Voices. Not ranked or anything, just a playlist of 100 great / weird / interesting songs.

He’s a journalist I started following when he worked at Pitchfork, and he does this as a semi regular newsletter. Always loads of interesting stuff. Kind of in the middle of a P4K, Wire, RA triangle.

Got a long car journey tomorrow, really looking forward to getting into this one.

The Ways of Exile EPs of the year rundown. I know the internet has been clamoring for this.
(Yes, it’s my blog)

1 Like

Know:42
Listened to:28

Feels like a personal record for a Quietus list. To be fair being based in Poland means many of the eastern European or even more international names are known to me then was the case when I lived in the UK.

Agreed, I’m surprised seeing some of confused responses to her topping many of these lists, this feels like Beyoncé at her peak. Weirdly I felt Lemonade was a little overrated, some great tracks but it felt disjointed, it covered an impressive range of styles all tied together by the album’s narrative, but it was essentially a greatest hits collection. Renaissance’s pacing and transitions are immaculate, definitely her most cohesive album.

The RA review felt a little gatekeeper-y to me, either asking that the privileged artist stay away from the queer ballroom scene, or that the references didn’t go hard enough. I can’t think of a recent major artist who has gone so far with this genre of dance (feel free to correct me) and I believe Renaissance shows she’s given it a lot of love and respect.

1 Like

it reminded me a lot of Flesh Tone by Kelis. i’m not close to being an expert on dance though so probably a completely different genre

I agree to a certain extent, but it’s a bit like what DJ Sprinkles was getting at in ‘Madonna Free Zone’, in that it borrows very heavily from an underground culture as a bit of a creative device.

It’s very well done, but I can understand why people might find that problematic. It’s not really for me to say whether that’s right or wrong, and I really do like the album, but I don’t think it’s gatekeepery to highlight that for people who’s history is in the ballrooms it might feel a bit frivolous.

Anyway… sorry… it’s an interesting and very old debate about the mainstream taking inspiration from the underground.

5 Likes

Didn’t mean for this to sound preachy btw. Just think it’s an interesting debate. And that’s why I like these lists, good for debate. Makes me think about some of these albums differently.

Going thru this now and already found a couple of things that sound up my street.

3 Likes
1 Like

Huh, that will be why I wasn’t asked to write a top 10 piece, I only had Kendrick in mine

Beyoncé owning these lists now.

1 Like

Yeah very hard to see her losing AOTY list now

1 Like