Live Act(s) of the Year

Don’t go to gigs so by default I have to say it’s my 18 month year old nephew banging a pan on the kitchen floor and shouting ‘buggabuggabuggabugga’

6 Likes

Saw him last week, played too much off the new album but was decent enough

6 Likes

Death Grips at the Barras

Don’t get to as many gigs as I would like so can’t really rank effectively, but I will say that the Pulp reunion tour was a truly life affirming experience.

1 Like

Done 3 this year, Ohhms, Xcerts and St Pierre Snake Invasion, all excellent, despite questionable sound for St Pierre.

Off the top of my head

Spectral Wound @ The Black Heart
Confidence Man @ Green Man Festival
Amyl & The Sniffers @ Green Man Festival
The Walkmen @ Green Man Festival
Finch @ The Forum
Osees @ Wide Awake Festival

1 Like

Have a top 12.

1. The Cure/Twilight Sad - Blossom, Cleveland, OH
  2. Tyler Childers - Railbird Festival, Lexington, KY
  3. Pulp - London, England
  4. The Beths x2 (One time with The National) Detroit & Cincinnati
  5. The Smile - Cleveland, OH
  6. Wednesday/Tenci - Columbus, OH
  7. Depeche Mode - Cleveland, OH
  8. LCD Soundsystem/IDLES - Columbus, OH
  9. Boygenius - Columbus, OH
  10. Moonchild - Columbus, OH
  11. Muse - Columbus, OH
  12. S.G. Goodman - Durham, NC
Words

Timely thread. My gig year kinda ended Friday with a bucket list gig - No.7. I have one more to go but that’s more Mrs PeB thing and I’m just going along for the husband points :grin:

I did have 4 arena-dome gigs lined up, not usually my thing….but
Bruce cancelled on me twice. The knobhead. I sold the Artic Monkey tickets I had for a tasty profit and spent it on tixs for The National/The Beths. My gig year was bookended by two big gigs. No. 11 & No. 7. Both exactly what I wanted out of big gigs. Massive tunes and completely over the top production. Just silly fun.

Special Gig on Telly performance of the year Award goes to….Young Fathers @ Glastonbury

1. The perfect gig to watch in a storm. Very wet. I was soaked.
  2. One of the best headline sets I have ever seen at a festival.
  3. Well timed trip home for this.
  4. Love this band so much. Saw them twice in a month. Very rare that I see a band twice on the same tour.
  5. Possibly my favorite Radiohead related live experience….
  6. 2023 favs and Tenci who I’ve wanted to see for a while. Some guy was really trying to crowd surf and no one else was having it. Wednesday found it hilarious.
  7. As mentioned above one off the bucket list.
  8. Great double header.
  9. Finally got to see the Bridgers.
  10. One of the best crowds I’ve been in. So much love in the room!
  11. Over the top and ridiculous.
  12. One of the best people. GBOL.
5 Likes

Nina Nastasia at The Cube, Bristol. It was very hot. She played in the garden. It was amazing.

Also; Avalance Kaito, Eyehategod, Screaming Females, Shlug were all great.

2 Likes

I probably enjoyed Calexico’s Feast of Wire 20th Anniversary show at the Electric Ballroom more than any other gig this year. A lot of that is to do with the fact that I’ve lived with that album for 20 years so I’ve got a lot emotions tied up in it. Pulp at Hammersmith was similar.

Springsteen in Hyde Park was a masterpiece. Poignant, beautiful, forceful. Playing the right songs in the right order to make something bigger than the sum of its parts.

But best of the year is either Young Father’s or Ezra Collective which are both very similar. Both through the force of their performance push the audience to engage and participate.

2 Likes

Been to loads of amazing gigs this year but can’t answer this until I see CMAT.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen him a couple times early on in festivals but he still delivers a great performance.

1 Like

My top 5 this year (not including all the excellent festival sets I also saw…)

1. Caroline Rose at Band on the Wall
  2. Sarah Jarosz at Band on the Wall
  3. Kevin Morby at New Century Hall
  4. Self Esteem at Albert Hall
  5. Christian Lee Hutson at the Deaf Institute
1 Like

My two faves this year were Surgeon at Acid Horse (Pewsey) and The DSM IV at Yr Welcome (Birmingham). Both total :exploding_head:s

Complete gig ranking:

1. Jai Paul - Here @ Outernet
  2. James Holden - Earth Theatre
  3. Titus Andronicus - Moth Club
  4. Young Fathers - Rough Trade East
  5. Preoccupations - Scala
  6. Protomartyr - Electric Ballroom
  7. Young Fathers - Hammersmith Apollo
  8. Panda Bear + Sonic Boom - Studio 9294
  9. The Go! Team - Lafayette
  10. No Age - 100 Club
  11. Flying Lotus - Here @ Outernet
  12. Self Esteem - Hammersmith Apollo
  13. Kelela - Here @ Outernet

Festival special mentions:

Gilla Band, Jockstrap, Caroline Polachek, - Wide Awake
Young Fathers, Rina Sawayama, Fever Ray, The Hives, Sudan Archives - Glastonbury
Kelly Lee Owens - Rally Festival

Pole Position:

Young Fathers - Glastonbury

Still to come this year:

SCALER - Studio 9294
Jai Paul - Élysée Montmartre
Gilla Band - Fabric
The Darkness - Roundhouse

3 Likes

Just remembered Free Love gig at Rumshack. Yeah that was amazing

Wish I’d seen them

It’s probably a wrap on gigs for me this year. I’ve got a baby on the way in a few weeks so decided early on to go to everything I possibly could this year, it’s been mostly great. All Glasgow except where noted.

1. Young Fathers - Barras
  2. Hotline TNT - Hug and Pint
  3. Big Thief - Usher Hall (Edinburgh)
  4. Deafheaven - Maryhill Community Halls (Core Festival)
  5. Iron Maiden - Hydo
  6. War on Drugs - Hydro
  7. Titus Andronicus - Broadcast
  8. Springsteen - Murrayfield
  9. Wednesday - Classic Grand
  10. Nation of Language - QMU

All of those top 10 are comfortably in the great category and I could add a bunch - Peter Gabriel, Fucked Up, loads of stuff from Celtic Connections, Slowdive, Dougie Poole, Dashboard Confessional (weirdly), Goose.

I suspect my gig attendance is going to drop off a cliff for a bit but it’s been a pretty excellent year.

It feels like Young Fathers are just going to run the table on this thread right (maybe with Model/Actriz as a late challenger)? Just a really special band who couldn’t be more in the pocket just now.

Gigs have been in short supply for me this year, but this month’s Forest Swords’ show at ICA swooped in and snatched first place from Steve Von Till’s excellent performance at St John on Bethnal Green.

Danny Brown and Lankum are still to come in December and I have high hopes for both.