Live versions that you prefer to the original

Just listening to Galaxie 500’s wonderfully ragged live version of “Don’t let your youth go to waste” which couples with their cover of their Beatles Rain. I think this version is arguably better than the original which I love.

I’d also go for:
The Verve - Gravity Grave (live at Glastonbury) - mad Richard screaming “one minute left” (like Steve McMahon to the kop) and then the cathartic freakout that follows from the band and vocalist

Radiohead - I might be wrong…and in fact many versions from the live l.p. of that name

Rodan - small things, big things and milk and melancholy from 15 quiet years …post rock par excellence

Ramones - blitzkrieg bop …the original seems too slow by comparison

Fugazi - burning …from the dischord comp complete with shout out to Fire Party

All Talking Heads stuff. I only really listen to stop making sense, I’ve heard a couple of their albums but the production and performances mostly sound anaemic to me

1 Like

I reckon Faith No More’s live version of War Pigs is better than Sabbath

Whilst I love their records I do get your point… several tracks on “the name of this band” match or improve on the originals…

2 Likes

So
Much Dylan stuff, not sure where to begin.

1 Like

Definitely Burning Down the House

3 Likes

Mogwai- ‘I Know You Are But What Am I?’ live is the only way to go with that track.

5 Likes

even remain in light? don’t say that bam. no.

2 Likes

think that’s the main one I heard

yup.

1 Like

Nick Cave’s Mercy Seat… the version from Live Seeds is unbelievable

7 Likes

Came here to say this! Also this live version of Jubilee Street on the Give Us a Kiss single:

3 Likes

aww its perfect. born under the punches was my listen-to-over-and-over-again-getting-stoned song when i smoked weed. how disjointed and layered it is and then the vocal just moves through all warm and lovely.

:frowning:

2 Likes

Coked up Lou was the best Lou.

The guys are just having a great time, jamming away then sometime around the two minute mark it kicks in and you realise what’s going down.

1 Like
2 Likes

REM - Country Feedback on the Later special. I also absolutely adore the version on Road Movie from their Monster tour.

3 Likes

This belter.

3 Likes
3 Likes

definitely. album version is fairly generic pro-tools post-rock. the drums and guitar effects in the live version are essential

2 Likes

Saw that tour a few times, nye 98 with New Order a particular highlight.

2 Likes