Liverpool becomes first city to open fast walking lanes

Okay okay, fine, I’ll own up

I knew of your aspirations to be the fastest man in Reading and kneecapped the man

Mine comes from Steven Gerrard

1 Like

Just to pint a bit more of a picture here, where you wearing a hat?

Yes, but it wasn’t cute enough to allow me a moderator role

falling over

3 Likes

Three of DiS’ finest GBOLs, but you’ve fucked up here, guys. After Glasgow Liverpool’s the second best city in Britain.

9 Likes

I actually think Liverpool is fucking ace, I was just being a twat :grimacing::grinning:

4 Likes

in all honesty, its a close third to London and Bristol.

1 Like

In all honesty, some of you ballbags should visit Leeds.

5 Likes

you know what’s really been irking me lately? that thing where you’re going in one direction and everyone is coming towards you and they’re all spread out across the pavement and nobody moves for you. seems to be a big thing in dublin.

Hi.

1 Like

The reason is some of us are fast. I mean put aside that the longer your leg the faster you walk anyway, I am just a person who does things at speed. I can’t go slow it DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY

FUCKING

INSANE

I get irritated by people who go on the walking side of the escalator and then don’t climb it two stairs at a time or do it with purpose.

I have huge amounts of nervous energy. I am always jiggling, tapping, etc.

And yeah 30s might seem like not much but I’ve missed trains or buses by that amount and these things add up if you’re taking two or more trains and you’re trying to get to nursery for pickup etc.

1 Like

Samesies

1 Like

That’s fine but my issue is you seem to be saying: no compromises, fast people have to just fuck off and accept the ideal world for slower types.

The whole point of the initiative is to provide spaces for both types of people.

And yeah people are slow and people are fast but arseholes are separate. If someone shoves you then that’s bad but adopting a dog-in-the-manger attitude of being negative towards the mere idea of someone just moving quickly isn’t at all better, and that seems to be the attitude you’re adopting here.

FWIW trying to stay slow is REALLY FUCKING Hard as I know from the amount of times I’ve had my wife pointing out over the years about mewalking ahead of her, despite trying my best.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly, it’s just about being mindful of other people and not acting like an idiot (like people who stop dead at the top (or bottom) of escalators, etc).

Just because I feel you’ve twice missed the meaning of my quote

I’m not saying everyone should take two steps I’m saying walk up like you mean it. Don’t just walk up slowly. What’s the point? Stand and enjoy it otherwise.

It still sounds like you have an issue with people who are irritating not with people who are fast because most of us just wait and then go past people when we can. The point of the survey is that it expresses how many people are frustrated like this because they actually do use the road to get somewhere.

Your view is fairly myopic here because you assume. Everyone can make the time to get somewhere more slowly or have nothing important to get to. Who knows, though?

I’m not apologising for rude people.

I don’t really know about crossings. I always wait for a green man, my wife, who is not a fast person, will always try to cross or will cross at random points in the road. I think you’re confusing ‘speediness’ with people not wanting to wait for the green man. It’s dangerous but that’s how it is. It’s nothing to do with how fast people walk, otherwise 99% of people would be fast walkers.

The thing is you can’t really say “just allow more time”. It’s not really necessarily how life works. Maybe you promised you’d pop to a particular shop at lunch or you only have 30 mins to get food and, just before you are about to leave a colleague comes up needing a piece of help. You’re not an arsehole so you delay to help them. But you have a meeting to attend straight after lunch so that means you’re now running behind.

This sort of thing happens EVERY DAY. You get the tube then there’s a delay and you’re suddenly 10 minutes later than you allowed for. Not everyone can actually give themselves a 15-30 minute cushion for every eventuality. It’s completely wrong to assume no one should have to hurry.

Moreover, I always feel the psychology of this is that you will notice the one person doing a thing specifically because it irritates you and not notice any of the people who don’t, leading to your mind giving a false perception of the stats involved.

1 Like

holy overanalysis batman

Sounds like you’re quite uptight, buddy.

I’m uptight about people slowing me down, maaaaaaaaann.