Living by myself

Lease on my house share is up in a few months and I think I’m ready to make the plunge and rent a studio or single bed somewhere. Never done it before, but I’m of the mindset now that I’d rather just pay up a bit more for my own spot rather share a space. As a london w*nker aware I’m going to move a bit further out to find somewhere I can afford, but I really don’t care about that much anymore (see how are you coping with getting old thread).

So, what was it like when you did it? I’m looking forward to a fuse going/radiator leaking and me realising i have zero practical skills to solve domestic issues.

1 Like

Love it, but was surprised by how well I’ve adapted to living with others after a good few years on my own

Would love to live alone now but would cost too much so needs must

It’s the best way to live.

4 Likes

I went fucking nuts and went out every night because I was bored. Spent all my money and ended up back in a house share

3 Likes

Loved it until a got Rock Band.

1 Like

You see, I’m doing this mainly to avoid my current housemates. :smiley: I just want to have a living room to myself, play music and watch stupid hearthstone videos!

3 Likes

Not technically a Queen song but still very good

10 Likes

DEE OOHH EDIT
DEE OOHH EDIT

1 Like

I was utterly miserable and lonely living alone, but there were other circumstances reinforcing my misery and loneliness at the time. Might find it better now, but I think I am probably unsuited to being by myself for extended periods without becoming a mopey bastard.

1 Like

I thought that but I got bored really quickly. Went into a couple of pubs on my own that much that I started getting invited on staff dos

2 Likes

I think i always used to say it as ‘deano wahey’ or something when I was a kid.

2 Likes

Brilliant.

1 Like

Been in my own gaff about 2 years now. After spending almost 50 years living with other people it was a bit of a shock to the system but I soon got used to it and I love it now.

first week was a nightmare - endless problems with the flat, no curtains, no shower, no hot water, letting agents were awful, had to try to sort all this myself and get hold of furniture I didn’t have. Got home on the Friday night from work exhausted, put some dinner on, opened some wine, sat down, and then realised that I had the place to myself and nobody was going to come in and bother me and it was fucking fantastic. Was fine after that

5 Likes

Did it in London when I was 24/25/26ish and it was brilliant.

Back doing it again now and I still massively prefer it.

Nobody coming home late at night making noise, nobody going in the shower five minutes before you need to leave for work when you’ve not brushed your teeth, nobody leaving their washing up in the sink - it’s taken all the niggly irritating domestic stress out of my day.

Expensive, tho. Oh, it’s expensive.

2 Likes

Did it for a few months and loved it!

~Mrs Epimer - June 2019

5 Likes

Yeah I started doing it long before I could actually afford to and bottomed out my overdraft by the end, which I only managed to fix because my first month of work and my last month of PhD funding overlapped.

No ragrets.

*Dr Mrs Epimer, you massive sexist!

3 Likes

Mixed. I miss having people to chat to about my/their day. Sometimes it’s just nice to watch tv with people. Wouldn’t recommend it if you don’t work in an office and have that stimulation during the day.

I ate a lot more crap once I lived on my own, I think because there wasn’t anyone around to judge :flushed:

On the plus side you can walk around naked and not close the bathroom door. Swings and roundabouts :woman_shrugging:

1 Like