living from 1906 until 2019

what blows your mind about the idea of living for that long/through such a time period?

she was 14 when the British border in Northern Ireland was created and lived through troubles, the good friday agreement and the brexit vote

on a lighter note*, powered flight was only achieved for the first time in 1903. in terms of technology she’d had seen planes go from being something that seemed like magic to being a thing you could book on a gadget in your pocket for a couple of hours wages

*this is a good pun isn’t it

Yeah but it all passed her by because she was busy getting pissed every night.

She was 87 years old when jurassic park came out

13 Likes

Grace Jones looks different to how I remember

RIP

10 Likes

Blimey! she was more or less around for 512 year old shark’s 400th birthday.

11 Likes

She was probably quite disappointed that horses didn’t change much over her lifetime.

23 Likes

i think this is going to be one of those DiS posts that pops into my head every now and then for the next few years

1 Like

Her dying words: ‘they don’t even get up until 9!’

5 Likes

Could have stabbed 17 year-old Hitler as a baby, didn’t bother. Fuck her.

16 Likes

My boring attempt at a nerdy fact. She was just about old enough to be aware of the first non-British winner of the Wimbledon men’s singles title, and then only saw three more British men win it during the rest of her life.

1 Like

I know this is just a function of linear time but I do find all this less exciting now we don’t have anyone left (I presume) who was born in the 1800s. Now that was a long time ago!

1 Like

On radio 4 they announced this by saying ‘britains oldest living person has died’

10 Likes

Hate her.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s been getting my goat too.

If she’d had a standard working life (18-65) she would’ve been retired for the same number of years she would’ve worked for.

She was already old when Margaret Thatcher became PM.

112 years is nearly 41,000 days.

2 Likes

The news seems to regularly have stories about the oldest living person dying. Seems like a poisoned chalice to me. I wouldn’t want to be the second-oldest right now.

6 Likes

any of you know of distant relatives who lived for ages?

someone on my mum’s side of the family lived til their 90s but died in the late 1930’s, again the world changed so so much in their time

Up over Grasmere is a memorial bench for a guy who was born in 1898 and died in 2001. He existed in the 1800s, 1900s and 2000s. Blows my mind, man.

5 Likes

grandmother in law is 96 now I think.

Gonna be relatively common to hit the 100 mark fairly soon I imagine.

who did she vote for tho

1 Like