The Good Ship (RIP)

• Loved it :’(
  • Hated it

0 voters

Scala

• Tolerable
  • Despise

0 voters

like as a place, hate as a music venue - don’t think I’ve seen a single good gig there (edit: I thought of one, which is still a very low hit rate; 2nd edit: it was in 2005, jfc)

1 Like

Stage is too low so even if near the front I cannot see

Royal Albert Hall

• It’s great
  • Something else

0 voters

People who say they like Brixton Academy, what gigs have you seen there that mean you like it?

I reckon someone who should sound cavernously reverby like Sigur Ros might be great there

But the gigs I’ve been to there have always needed a much tighter sound. Seen Jon Hopkins twice, for example. So while I want to absolutely slate it, it would be unfair for me to slate it too much given that I’ve not seen anyone there who was suited to it. Have been there at least 5 times without one good sound set up tho… and really, gig venues should be able to handle all types of music

So yes it’s shit and I can’t believe anyone would enjoy 90% of gigs there

I just like it for pure nostalgia, all my early gig goings were there

1 Like

Koko

• fine
  • not fine

0 voters

Tufnell Park Dome

• Fine (but far away)
  • Not fine (plus it’s so far away)

0 voters

Jon Hopkins is a good example of someone whose sound I’d expect to be drowned out by chattering twats at the Academy- this was definitely the case for Moderat, which felt more like an early evening festival set than their own gig. Other bands have sounded pretty good there though, given the size (Mogwai, NiN, QOTSA, Godspeed, Sonic Youth, Dino Jr, Sugar, etc.).

big fan of that neck of the woods, less far away than more east london venue for me

3 Likes

Roundhouse

• Soundhouse
  • Poundland

0 voters

Only been to a couple of the Four Tet things and to see Postal Service at BA, all were fairly good. Decent enough sound, like that you can see from pretty much anywhere, never felt too packed despite being sold out.

Cafe Oto

• Best venue in the world
  • “You get the same 4 pricks in here every night wanking off over unlistenable jazz” - Oto barperson

0 voters

2 Likes

Village Underground

• Ya
  • Na

0 voters

Barbican

• Arrrbican
  • Narrrbican

0 voters