Looooooooong songs (10 minutes +)

There’ve been three or four threads about songs that are one or two minutes long, but I’m just listening to Murder Most Foul for about the 30th time in the last month, and I think I’ve definitely got a thing for songs that go on for a long time without necessarily going anywhere. Once you go beyond a certain length, there’s less pressure to adhere to verse/chorus structures, and yeah.

Stuff like:

and most Fela Kuti songs.

Less sure whether to include dance music stuff that drifts over 10 minutes, but definitely worth including this:

Any other ones worth listening to for 1/4 an hour per go?

8 Likes
15 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Post-rock probably doesn’t count else you could post the whole damn genre in here but I’m gonna post this just because I happened to be listening to it when the thread got posted and I love it.

(By Tartentel fyi)

1 Like

Does this count? Probably not since it isn’t song

If not

8 Likes

Long songs are the best.

3 Likes
9 Likes

W.H. Lung - Simpatico People

6 Likes

I miss peak Mars Volta so much.

8 Likes

Just wait until the second half:

2 Likes

isley bros its too late

1 Like

an obvious one but

5 Likes

And if you really want some freeform ones, here are two live Pumpkins ones:

Legendary performance of Silverfuck from 1997. Nothing like the album version.

Gossamer (not sure what the definitive version is, but here’s a high quality one from a live DVD):

1 Like

another obvious one

I like long songs.

9 Likes

Flowered Up Weekender
Ride Grasshopper

2 Likes

If I’m gonna allow Lindstrom, I see no reason to exclude Basinski, apart from the possible classification of him under classical, or something.

Should probably chuck in Music for 18 Musicians in there, now that I think about it:

3 Likes

For a not as popular one, here’s a long, relatively freeform one by Young Jesus a couple years ago.

1 Like