Lorde (rolling thread)

Don’t think I will ever stop laughing at how this is essentially just a cardboard sleeve and booklet with no CD that somehow also costs twice as much as a regular CD because “the environment”.

5 Likes

Is the vinyl release even on recycled wax? Otherwise this whole stance is bullshit

I’ll save everyone the time:

4 Likes

Since i asked this question the guy’s name is suddenly popping up everywhere.

2 Likes

Maybe a bit of Baader-Meinhof going on but I reckon the coverage/exposure has kicked up a notch recently as well. That and the fact there’s a new Bleachers album as well, lots of narrative for music journalists to work with.
Admittedly I’ve probably gota bit of a blind spot with pop music though. Royals is still the only Lorde track I know.

1 Like

I personally think Jack Antonoff is very good, and if you read the stuff that people who’ve worked with him say he’s very much considered someone who brings out the best in artists rather than stamping his thing on them. Also, I really like both the new Lorde songs and I’m hyped for the album.

3 Likes

I think Jack Antonoff is very good at what he does, but if you’ve heard more than two records he’s been on the writing team for you can hear his influence a mile off.

2 Likes

True - but despite what I said above - if we got Melodrama and NFR out of it then fair fucks I guess?

1 Like

I think the thing with it is that I like what he does, so that for me is a good problem to have! Really like his new Bleachers record that came out yesterday, for example.

3 Likes

Uh oh.

At least we’ll always have those first two album’s.

2 Likes

just absolutely lost it around the 1 minute mark

apparently it’s meant to be a satire?! can’t imagine many people will take it that way

Something about ones attempt of satire/parody just being the thing you’re apparently satireing/parodying

The singles for this album have been pretty bad. And this is disappointing but this new one is woeful

Our Lorde hath forsaken us :pensive:

These singles have completely killed any enthusiasm I had for this album, and are retrospectively making her other stuff seem worse.

Guess I should wait for the album but jeez…

Interesting take. I agree with you on the singles, really bizarre choice of direction, but what is it about them that’s making the previous stuff seem worse?

Someone on Twitter last night said it was “fun to be above it all with Lorde” but that the new material suggests she now genuinely considers herself above it all and even if it’s ironic/satirical, it feels obnoxious. That was pretty spot-on I think.

The man fucking loves

• A piano
  • That phase effect thing that’s on these new Lorde singles
  • Saying things immediately before the chorus (e.g. Hate That You Know Me, Stop Making It Hurt)

I’m puzzled by the extreme reactions. This single is fine, might not be up there with Tennis Court Tennis Court or Royals but it’s a nice radio-friendly summery hook. Video is a bit naff to be fair but I could see this being part of a good album.