Lorde (rolling thread)

16 Likes

Ok so I’m finding Mood Ring gets better with every listen, but I’m also finding that as well as The Lighthouse Family it vaguely reminds me of Alisha’s Attic.

I loved Alisha’s Attic

I’m definitely in the minority here, but I am very much up for the general All Saints/Natalie Imbruglia revival vibe that’s going on with this record. I mean, she makes a Robbie Williams joke within about 15 seconds of the start of Solar Power, it’s clear where her head is at. If she drops another single and it sounds like The Corrs I’m so on board you might as well give me a uniform and get me to check tickets.

3 Likes

Damn you for sewing this evil seed in my brain.

Wonder what people would have thought of Folklore, had it been drip fed

2 Likes

I’m hearing a bit of Fanmail era TLC in Mood Ring too but not sure if that’s a bit of a weird subconscious leap.

1 Like

wait…what?

no, reckon this is a fair shout. classical guitars + beats is v much a feature of that era isn’t it

Tribe tbf

EDIT: yes, my point exactly. Seems a real stretch to assume she’s even aware of Robbie Williams imo

reading the thread without listening to the track is a wild ride

7 Likes

:eyes: why wouldn’t she be lol

I just think that if a pop star from new zealand in her 20s makes a “can I kick it” reference, it’s 3000% more likely to be a Tribe reference than a Robbie Williams one

True as that is, to think she’d be like “Robbie Williams? Never heard of the cunt” is funny

yeah ok a cursory google reveals he plays arenas down there so perhaps that was a little OTT :joy:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, yes I am fully aware of the fact that it’s a Tribe reference first! It felt more like a Robbie reference to me due to the style of the song and the era of pop music, including British pop music, that she’s said in interviews that she’s mining (she specifically said that she had been listening to All Saints and Natasha Bedingfield, for example). Tbh, could be a reference to either or both, given that time and culture are a sort of flat circle nowadays.

Also, it’s placed at roughly the same point in the song’s structure as the line in Rock DJ (I’m now definitely overdoing this explanation).

It’s also on the wikipedia page for the song itself that Lorde thought Solar Power sounded like Rock DJ, and she acknowledges both layers of the reference too. I’m going to stop this now, sorry everyone.

8 Likes

It’s said in the same way as Robbie said it too. Deffo a Williams nod imho

2 Likes

I’m throwing in two more late 90s/early 00s songs into the mix.

Solar Power has strong 4hero’s Les Fleur vibes.
First time I heard Mood Ring, I thought Viva Forever by The Spice Girls.

1 Like

Considering that I didn’t like Folklore its par for the course really

these are both really interesting facts that I was unaware of! :smiley:

1 Like

All the mor 90s artists being referenced here either as influences she’s stated or that people here recognise seemed so bizarre to me - such bland stuff for a young person to be listening to and not even contemporary bland.

But of course these are going to be the albums in her parents cd collection aren’t they, she’s just reaching into albums she probably knows from her childhood like the back of her hand.

3 Likes