Low - Rolling Thread

Looking forward to this. Just pre-ordered the clear vinyl from Normans.

Just the kinda thoughtless meanddering vocals with uninteresting lyrics and a very static melody detracts from the interesting production choices there IMO

Not really hearing the drums and guns comparison really, that record was a lot starker, bolder and also catchier than these tracks.

You feeling a bit down on Low and Nintendo (2 of my favourite things) today Bam?

1 Like

itā€™s perplexing to me but about 5 years ago I just started to find Low really bored me. Used to be a huge fan, still really love curtain hits the cast and some bits on secret name etc but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve really enjoyed anything theyā€™ve done since drums and guns much.

Thereā€™s some interesting textures and production on these tracks but Iā€™m just not feeling a magic spark or anything.

Still love Nintendo though :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve not even been a Low fan for that long! But I get that kind of ennui with once-loved bands though, for me itā€™s with The Decemberists.

wrt Nintendo it is pretty hard to see that press conference as anything other than underwhelming

1 Like

^only likes the early stuff

1 Like

Early and kinda late but not latest :wink:

I think @incandenza said it right with WOAH

Dancing and Blood left me breathless. Pretty sure these take at least parts from their organ piece they did last year, particularly with that middle track the vocals seemed very familiar. Of course drastically different in arrangement from the organ and vocals only.

Very excited to be seeing them next week at QEH, anyone else going?

3 Likes

They put a tweet up saying they played some of these at the union chapel show last year.

3 Likes

Nice, glad my memory isnā€™t tricking me.

1 Like

Yes, obviously.

That can happen with bands (it completely happened for me with The Decemberists, for instance) and I can understand it as a reaction to The Invisible Way, which was a bit of a boring album. To their credit though they realised that was a bit of wrong turn and have gone a completely different way. Ones and Sixes was brilliant and this new stuff sounds great. I donā€™t know how much you have listened to it by to me it is really emotionally affecting as well as being interesting to listen to. The third song - Fly - is intense, especially with the video.

1 Like

Yeah they played about half of the new album at the organ show

1 Like

I thought ones and sixes was a return to form, but this is something else.

Itā€™s really interesting to me that Mimi and Alan are the least prevailent of the four on these three tracks, as itā€™s essentially their band. The new guy has added loads to their sound.

1 Like

Nah the bassist/pianist, the producer too though

Steve Garrington joined Low 10 years ago.

5 Likes

Thanks Wikipedia

Anyway, heā€™s newer than he is old

I am!

1 Like