Low - Rolling Thread

I re-listened to it the other day and it does seem to just keep getting better and better. It’s crazy atmospheric even for them

1 Like

If it it an extension of the opening three and captures even half of the way they sounded live the other week, then I’m sold.

Considering grabbing tickets for their Amsterdam date, my wife has been asking for us to go on a city break soon…

listening to The Great Destroyer for the first time, why is this not more widely known as being one of the best? i can only take quiet Low in small doses really but loud Low is a wonderful thing.

5 Likes

I’ve always loved Trust, which seems to be the other one that people generally don’t like for some reason I don’t really understand.

this seems incorrect. an immediate standout for me i think.

1 Like

i only know Last Snowstorm which i love but it’s the other one i’ve been intended to check out fully

Adore that track especially. Other highlights for me are Shots & Ladders (good reference point for the new album too), Point of Disgust, Tonight and (That’s How You Sing) Amazing Grace.

In fact, going to listen to this again RIGHT. NOW.

2 Likes

The peel sessions for that era were incredible. In fairness all their Peel sessions are well worth listening to and hit the mark more successfully than their albums - I guess the live renditions are a bit rougher and readier which I like

4 Likes

From slightly earlier…this might be my favourite session of theirs

1 Like

I thought it was really. It’s one of my favourites for sure

Such a great record. The closing few tracks are utter perfection.

1 Like

ah i haven’t seen that review. just found it more engaging than a lot of their stuff. i like them but super quiet slowcore stuff is something i don’t listen to a huge amount of so it’s often the case that when a quiet band makes something louder that it’s the album that appeals to me the most (saw them on the Christmas tour the other year and was thinking the loud bits were so good i’d like them to do that more). similarly i think it was The Last Romance that first properly hooked me on Arab Strap (though i love their quieter albums now too)

i’ve listened to TWLITF before but don’t remember that much about it. I Could Live In Hope is the other one i enjoyed the most previously (along with Christmas, obviously) haven’t listened to every album though.

last.fm says i listened to Sunflower twice so that must have been a standout. i’ll give it another spin at some point!

1 Like

i’ll have a look at these after work!

1 Like

Peanut butter toast and American bandstand :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Venus :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Because You Stood Still off there is one of my all time faves

When I was getting into Low, about a decade ago, I seemed to get the impression that The Great Destroyer was the most liked Low album among people who weren’t super into them overall, but less liked among people deeper into the band.

My main issue with it now is that I can’t listen to that version of Silver Rider without thinking how much better this version is:

3 Likes

Same with the album version of murderer and the EP version

3 Likes

Less pronounced a difference I think, for me, where Drums and Guns has such a distinctive unifying sound (even more so than other Low albums) I don’t think so much about that version of Murderer wishing it was the EP one.

While we are waxing on how great the Murderer EP is, From Your Place on Sunset is one of my favourite Low songs. Very glad that I have seen them play it live.

2 Likes