Low - Rolling Thread

Small detail: when you watch the vinyl go round, it looks like rippling water! Is this what all clear vinyl looks like, or have they come up with some magical-looking vinyl?

Yeah the really clear vinyl does that as you get the visual interference from the grooves on the other side.

2 Likes

i love this tune. love the lyrics a lot, love that overdriven maxed out guitar thing. but really love the lyrics.

Album cover looks way better with the band name on it imo

Sounds like an out-take from the Fragile. This is a good thing, by the way.

Double Negative is what actually got me into Low - still doing a back-catalogue trawl but Iā€™m completely on love with them now.ay have to be my next purchase

1 Like

Not feeling this on first listen. Hoping Iā€™ll get more out of it over time, but yeah.

Gonna listen to this all day. Lowered my expectations a little

Just listened to this on a rare train journey into work. Amazing stuff. Not sure how it stacks up to Double Negative yet but I love it already. Gonna try and pick up a copy on my travels later. In an actual record shop. Imagine.

3 Likes

Itā€™s great isnā€™t it? Does this mean youā€™re actually in the office today? Sadly Iā€™m in Singleton today but if youā€™re back in we should grab coffee sometime next week before we all get locked in our houses again for winter.

Just diving in now. I liked all the singles and made sure not to overplay them.

Will report back with my findingsā€¦

Iā€™m just in for to run a random exam this morning, still working from home full time. Theyā€™re gonna start moving us towards doing some days in the office sometime between November and January apparently, which is nice and vague.

Iā€™m sure we can arrange a coffee/drink for soon though, well up for that.

This is now the Disintegration State social calendar thread.

1 Like

Like this a lot more than Double Negative.

Found the production choices frustrating on Double Negative but here I think itā€™s utilised much better and serves the songs well rather than obscuring them. I think keeping them away from the vocals helps a lot.

Will be interesting to hear how it sounds live.

4 Likes

Hey is :hushed::exploding_head::disappointed_relieved::clap::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Just starting my first listen. First two tracks are great but I miss the bass.

Yeah - the vocals are front and centre. Which means that everything else can be chaotic and fragmented but the songs feel more likeā€¦ songs I guess.

Oh gosh itā€™s incredible isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

Double Negative felt a lot more impressionistic, which I really loved, but it felt more like an electronica record than an album of songs. This feels very much like the latter, but with a very broken sound pallette underpinning them. Both pretty great though.

Really? I think its one of the best albums Iā€™ve ever heard for feeling like a coherent album of songs that flow together.

1 Like

yeah DN felt more like an album for ambient fans which iā€™m not really

1 Like

DN is definitely my favourite Low record, Iā€™d agree with @jordan_229 that it flows extremely well, on first listen (via bandcamp) Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m feeling this as much but will stick with itā€¦

I like this on first spin, but will need a lot more time with it (and probably sat at my desk working isnā€™t an ideal initial listen) to fall in love.

My concerns are that underneath the production (which sonically I really like) the songs are actually a bit too slight. Theyā€™ll no doubt reveal themselves to me with repeated plays.